Tracked tw230 forst 8 inch

Dean O

Sorry this might have been done to death but can't find much in a search.

Might be changing our tracked 230, roughly 5 years old now, had many problems when we first had it, and is in to fix some problems now. It was handled badly the first time round and there's radio silence from them so far this time I wanted to talk to them.

I've had tw's since they were entecs but

Its put me off tw to be honest so looking at other brands.

In fairness the 230 chips well and punches above its 6inch capacity, so I think I'd have to look at 8 inch machines to not feel ive taken a step back.

Forst is the brand I would go for, but I've started hearing that companies that had moved to forst are going back to tw.

What is the current consensus on these brands at the moment. 

Stg5 compliance throws another set of questions, dpf in the larger hp petrol forst at 8 inch vs the 24hp diesel in the 230.

(Weve had a road tow 230 on hire recently and there's a slight difference in performance vs the old 35hp kubota but not enough to get upset about in my mind). So probably the worry is the dpf.

Thanks all

I reckon you might still be able to get a 1928 Safetrak diesel if you are quick as they bought a massive stock of the ‘old’ Diesel engines (but it might be too late now).

They also have a new ‘big’ chipper apparently in late stages of development that might be worth waiting for?

I’ve not heard many good stories from people running Forst over a longer period of time (but in fairness it’s always bad news that gets shouted about). 

• Like 2

As a self employed subby, I get to use a few different chippers. Like the old jensens as they are bullet proof and plodders, but have to say that even with the occasional issues forst take a lot of beating. Day to day I use a combination of a 2 year + old st8, and a brand new TR8d55. The st8 is faultless, the TR8d55 has had a few small niggles but chips like an absolute animal. To be fair to global, they are very quick to respond to any issues, and ours was I believe, the third of its kind of the production line.

Edited by HuntingHicap
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I reckon you might still be able to get a 1928 Safetrak diesel if you are quick as they bought a massive stock of the ‘old’ Diesel engines (but it might be too late now).

They also have a new ‘big’ chipper apparently in late stages of development that might be worth waiting for?

I’ve not heard many good stories from people running Forst over a longer period of time (but in fairness it’s always bad news that gets shouted about). 

I think its also the sheer amount of machines out there as well. In my area, (sussex/surrey) the only timberwolfs you see are old ragged ones. When there is that many about the chances of the odd friday machine must be higher.

• Like 1

Might be changing our tracked 230, roughly 5 years old now, had many problems when we first had it, and is in to fix some problems now. It was handled badly the first time round and there's radio silence from them so far this time I wanted to talk to them.
In fairness the 230 chips well and punches above its 6inch capacity, so I think I'd have to look at 8 inch machines to not feel ive taken a step back.
Forst is the brand I would go for, but I've started hearing that companies that had moved to forst are going back to tw.
Stg5 compliance throws another set of questions, dpf in the larger hp petrol forst at 8 inch vs the 24hp diesel in the 230.
(Weve had a road tow 230 on hire recently and there's a slight difference in performance vs the old 35hp kubota but not enough to get upset about in my mind). So probably the worry is the dpf.
Thanks all

The new TR8 55 diesel is stage 5.
On the whole I’m pleased with mine. Chips like a beast.

Few little niggles on the newly designed machine but Först have been excellent at resolving any minor bits very well. Nothing to do with the engine either.

Worth a demo. They also gave me nearly double the px value on my outgoing Timberwolf which certainly sweetened the deal up. Keen to get your business they are. ..

I think forst have a 10 inch in the pipeline so hopefully in a couple of years the TR8 will go back in against one of those [emoji4].

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean O said:

Thanks all

You must have got 1 off the early 1s 

what issuse did you have.

Thanks for the replies, good to hear no problems with the dpf, not sure if the doosan engine they have put in there was designed to run with the dpf or whether it was bodged on there to comply with the stg5?

Is the engine management clever enough to allow it to 'regenerate' itself if needed, or is it seen as a service item thats replaced when clogged?

I've got a demo with the tr8 booked.

I used to have a safetrack, it was an old machine, fantastic tracking system for its time tho and could get anywhere, but there's not the support locally so not really on the radar.

I appreciate the fact these are built to a different weight spec, but its the ability to reliably chip a given size, and I'm happy to have a heavier machine if that's the answer.

Also was considering the tw280, just on the premise that it might be more capable of not lunching itself, given the heavier build spec?