Splitting Logs .... On ground or on a log??

Witterings

Trying to increase my output and some prefer splitting with the log on the ground and others on another log / raised platform which is what I've always done but virtually every split results in the log falling off and having to be picked up again and kills output.

I would have thought chopping on the ground would at least make it quicker as it wouldn't fall over quite so often and could be tilted back to upright with the axe (if it falls over) as opposed to having to pick it up. My axe / splitter often goes straight through the one I'm splitting and into the log underneath, if this was the ground isn't that the quickest way to blunt your axe and also put dinks in as I'm sure it'll make contact with stones when you don't want it to and letting your saw touch the dirt is the quickest way to blunt it..

Was also thinking about getting a tyre to chop them in and see how much that helps / speeds up the process.

Interested in people's opinons and preferred on any of the above.

I use the Buckin Billy Ray Smith method. Rounds on the floor or in a pile, kick them vaguely upright and flop/flick the axe off to one side as you strike. If the axe flops left, a split piece will kick off right and the axe will end up safely flat on top of the left piece. Or golf swing through rounds lying down. Watch Buckin's youtube videos and it'll make sense. Suggest watching them with the sound off and/or sped up.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Suggest watching them with the sound off and/or sped up.

haha this

?

I prefer a few  chopping blocks scattered around  but will split on ground also.

Best to keep back a few seasoned rounds of hardwood.

Some actaully selling  phone pole as chopping blocks on ebay ?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find great deals for Firewood Log Splitting Chopping Block. Shop with confidence on eBay!

1 hour ago, David Lawrence 88 said:

Mr .Woodworks technique

it is great 

a few pallets and a giant block 

height as suits

i go for knee high

less bending and no chasing logs round the yard

???

Chopping in the pallets doesn't break / split them ??? I have a few lying around left pver from building a log store out of them.