woodland mills axel problem?

Tippin Alaybye

On 20/11/2020 at 12:36, agrimog said:

when not in use do you leave the head in the travel position, thus loading the indespension units......this could be the reason they have failed.......they are not designed to be left loaded for long periods , my own mill is sitting with the wheels only just touching the ground and the weight carried on the jacks, this is the way it was designed to work

good point. i will do this from now on but again, if this is the case should have been made clear. i spoke to the chap from woodland mills and he is sending out some shims. obviously they know about this but i'm sceptical as the drawings Trigger Andy posted seem to be a good explanation of the problem

Edited by Tippin Alaybye
  • Like 1

The suspension units are rated 750kg, the mill and trailer will weigh in at around 650-700kg an 8' trunk will weigh in at anything from 250-700+kg depending on diameter and species. 

You need to have the mill jacked off the ground before loading and milling. 

As stated by previous poster if leaving the mill standing unused for more than a day it should be jacked up with the wheels of the ground as well as backing off the tension on the blade. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2020 at 17:53, trigger_andy said:

This is on the HM126 page. I guess its as legal as any other trailer thats not over 750kg though; 

License for Highway Use

Although it is sold as an off-road package. Road safety components are included to aid in the registration as a home-built trailer in your jurisdiction. Every province, state and country have different requirements and it is recommended to check with your region requirements.

So its not legal in the UK as it does not have an IVA.

The 750kg is a red herring. Trailer are trailers & all need IVA / type aproval.

On 29/11/2020 at 12:13, Forest2Furniture said:

The trailer question is one of those grey areas.

Is it a trailer or is it plant machinery.

Can you take the mill off the trailer and use it as a trailer and use the mill separate form the trailer.

If the answer is 'no' then is it still a trailer in the IVA sense of a trailer?

not grey at all. For the IVA plant exemption it needs to be self powered mobile ie it drives, The exemption does not apply to trailers.

• Like 2