Anyone occasionally use 48" bar/chain on a Stihl MS660?/ l MS 660?n

cessna

As above.  I ask ,as I  sometimes need to cut up a large diameter 48" plus diameter windblown Beech tree which are usually on very steep ground!!!  Cutting through them from both sides with my 36" bar is not ideal as trunk liable to roll on top of one if one gets it slightly wrong, with fatal consequences. Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by cessna
word incorrect

37 minutes ago, cessna said:

As above.  I ask ,as I  sometimes need to cut up a large diameter 48" plus diameter windblown Beech tree which are usually on very steep ground!!!  Cutting through them from both sides with my 36" bar is not ideal as trunk liable to roll on top of one if one gets it slightly wrong, with fatal consequences. Any suggestions welcome.

You probably could if you went slow and gentle, but that's really getting into 880 territory. 42" is about the limit for a 660.

Off the shelf 48" bar and chain will be .404 so you'll need a new sprocket too.

you should message chainsawbars.co.uk. They have upto 64" bars for the ms660 for milling. I'm sure they would be able to help you out. You're just going to keep getting told to buy an 880 otherwise. I get where you're coming from though. Why spend £1200 on a saw you're only going to use <20 times a year

2 hours ago, cessna said:

Hi you dont need that big bar in the situation your in, with the right cut and used in the right sequence and stood in the right place when doing the last part of the cut i would be on a 461or simular  with a 25" bar, From my experience (40 years) of dealing with windblown both singular and multiple, big saws with big bars will put you more in danger of something serious happening than a smaller more manoverable saw, we have done several jobs over the years like you are describing and there wont be any 660s 661s or 880s with big bars on site, i take it you have not been on a windblown course as you would not be asking the question ?, if you did do a windblown course it would open your eyes as to what is involved and what can go wrong there is a little more to it than big bars, take care and stay safe windblown can be a killer,

• Like 5

You can’t get a 48” bar on a 660.
I would strongly suggest you get someone who knows what they’re doing in.
As Spuddog says, you could do that with 25”.
If you knew what you were doing.
As you point out this could be fatal.
Get a professional in buddy [emoji106]
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Hi you dont need that big bar in the situation your in, with the right cut and used in the right sequence and stood in the right place when doing the last part of the cut i would be on a 461or simular  with a 25" bar, From my experience (40 years) of dealing with windblown both singular and multiple, big saws with big bars will put you more in danger of something serious happening than a smaller more manoverable saw, we have done several jobs over the years like you are describing and there wont be any 660s 661s or 880s with big bars on site, i take it you have not been on a windblown course as you would not be asking the question ?, if you did do a windblown course it would open your eyes as to what is involved and what can go wrong there is a little more to it than big bars, take care and stay safe windblown can be a killer,

Many thanks, no I have not been on a course as you mention, never knew such a course existed especially   one that ACTUALLY cuts up a 48"plus tree on a steep bank,lying sideways  on to the bank,so one has to be taught how to deal with "preventing a runaway 48"plus trunk" as well as cutting up the trunkh,really dangerous situations,and as you say one false judgement causing ones  death or someone elses.  Thank you and everyones  replies to my thread. 

Many thanks, no I have not been on a course as you mention, never knew such a course existed especially   one that ACTUALLY cuts up a 48"plus tree on a steep bank,lying sideways  on to the bank,so one has to be taught how to deal with "preventing a runaway 48"plus trunk" as well as cutting up the trunkh,really dangerous situations,and as you say one false judgement causing ones  death or someone elses.  Thank you and everyones  replies to my thread. 

It’s called cs32 and cs33.
Tree felling over 380mm and wind blown trees.
Yes this situation is covered.
Please don’t try what you’re suggesting.
[emoji106]