4week traing

5 minutes ago, Will C said:

Bens a good lad, it’s just pining him down to a date!

Will are you working on the Island ? And if it’s for a company would they be interested in a free worker so I can get some experience ?  Ben is a nice man but Ive only ever emailed him about the courses so far. Still to actually meet ! Hopefully once lockdown ends ?

I looked into their company and it does look great Will. I found a wee lad on the Island called Ben and he takes some courses so it would save my travelling fees and accommodation. However these courses will not run unless enough people are interested so it’s a case of weighing up which to go for. I would prefer to get the main tickets immediately and start my new life. Unfortunately I need to save firstly for my own PPE and then the courses themselves. I will get there because it’s something definitely want [emoji846] Thankyou for your advice [emoji1303]

In your circumstances the 10 week course at merrist wood would be a much better option. It’s about 3 grand you will get a balance of theory and practical that I’d imagine will give you a better foot on the ladder that just 4 weeks practical.
  • Like 2

Samantha. You're an old woman wanting to break into a profession dominated (for largely good reason) by young men. It's very competitive, most people make shit money and many people hate it after a while. You're at a further disadvantage being on an island with limited employers. Then consider we live in interesting economic times where bold career moves are risky, especially ones with significant money outlay for training that you might need to use to buy food with in the coming months. And as if all that didn't make for a steep enough hill to climb already, you're annoying, closing yet more doors.

Now anything's possible of course and you may delight in proving me and the world wrong but you're starting at several large disadvantages. I'd ordinarily not care what you try to do but in this instance I must strongly encourage you to not give money to the absolute wasters who constitute the majority of the training industry in this country. Their undeserved dominance is making the industry shitter for the rest of us and I want them starved.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Samantha. You're an old woman wanting to break into a profession dominated (for largely good reason) by young men. It's very competitive, most people make shit money and many people hate it after a while. You're at a further disadvantage being on an island with limited employers. Then consider we live in interesting economic times where bold career moves are risky, especially ones with significant money outlay for training that you might need to use to buy food with in the coming months. And as if all that didn't make for a steep enough hill to climb already, you're annoying, closing yet more doors.
Now anything's possible of course and you may delight in proving me and the world wrong but you're starting at several large disadvantages. I'd ordinarily not care what you try to do but in this instance I must strongly encourage you to not give money to the absolute wasters who constitute the majority of the training industry in this country. Their undeserved dominance is making the industry shitter for the rest of us and I want them starved.
Rather harsh I must say. I've only read the end of this thread but still.
  • Like 4

Hi, 

So my circumstances are I'm a chef currently in a secure as can be job in the current world we live in. I can't afford to take a year out on a apprenticeship unfortunately. The 4 week course gives me the tickets I need to be able to apply and hopefully find a good firm like a lot have mentioned to give me he training I need to progress and actually become competent at the job. 

Now I fully expect in this time to still have to supplement my income by doing freelance catering work. 

The whole reason for this posts was to get some helpful information for experienced arbs. 

That I've got so thankyou. 

If any of you are from the North East let me know, happy to trade stories for pints when we can eventally go back to a pub. 

Have a good day. 

Drew 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AHPP said:

Wow, seems like someone got a bit stung in the industry. Personally I used to be an aircraft engineer, the job was boring, the management was bad. I owned my own company providing contract aircraft repair and the income from tree work (self employed) is double and it's 8 hour days not 12 and I'm not having to piss off all over europe... Depends on what you do in the industry I guess and how well you can run a company. There's people who are 35-45 going into tree work and they can do very well for themselves if they know how to run a company. If you're going to work self employed and earning less than £200 a day you aren't doing something right.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AHPP said:

Obvs CS49 unit ( Certain Subtlety fr over 49 yrs)  got overlooked there ?  much of what you say i could agree with. But also, not too encouraging for new starters. Whom are either Shit- will stay shit  / Shit - but can improve adequately /  Shit - but overtake you 10 years down the  road. 

K

• Like 2