4week traing

Hi all, 

I'm looking to take a 4week intensive arborist course up in Scotland next year.

Im wanting to know do employers look down on the fact I've done my tickets via a fast track method? 

Going to give some local business a call to see if I can go gain some experience before then as I'm definitely not work shy. 

Greatly appreciate you're feedback. 

Thanks, 

Drew

• Like 1

As @Rough Hewn, yr instructor will suss yr abilities and dont get downhearted if you fvvk up a bit, once those tickets passed, the real learning begins. Fingers crossed you land a knowledgeable crew you can draw skills n knowledge from (  OR get a job with Glendales ?) K

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

The right attitude is usually the most important thing I look for.
emoji106.png

Thanks, it's somthing I feel I have, I also have the ability to spend a day and not use my phone which a fair few younger than me seem not to be able.

42 minutes ago, Khriss said:

As @Rough Hewn, yr instructor will suss yr abilities and dont get downhearted if you fvvk up a bit, once those tickets passed, the real learning begins. Fingers crossed you land a knowledgeable crew you can draw skills n knowledge from (  OR get a job with Glendales ?) K

No doubt I will mess somthing up but all part of learning, do I assume from that I should veer away from glendales for work? 

Drew 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My biggest concern after 30+ yrs on the saws n ropes is mentorship, the  right company will have you streaking away, gaining cash and skill as you go, the wrong company will have you bogged down in tedious rubbish jobs. Whilst yr energy and enthusiasm are at a peak- that is the time to get everything gathered  together. K

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi Drew

Attitude makes the difference -  doubly so in tree work.
I don’t think it matters how you get your initial CS units - everyone starts green at beginner level and you will still have to serve your time until you are competent.  
Obviously any work experience has value but try to get a start with the biggest / best company you can.  Depending on where you live maybe expand your search to include Tyneside and County Durham. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

I assume you'll get felling to 380mm, rescue and chainsaw from rope and harness and maybe chipper etc in 4 wks. It should make you very employable so long as you realise you will have 'all the paper but no idea'. It takes at least a couple of years to get ok then at 5yrs you'll be a solid arb.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JSN said:

Hi Drew

Attitude makes the difference -  doubly so in tree work.
I don’t think it matters how you get your initial CS units - everyone starts green at beginner level and you will still have to serve your time until you are competent.  
Obviously any work experience has value but try to get a start with the biggest / best company you can.  Depending on where you live maybe expand your search to include Tyneside and County Durham. 

Best of luck. 

That's great thankyou, I'm not far from hexham so tyneside and Durham are not to far. Are you from the North East? 

13 hours ago, jfc said:

I assume you'll get felling to 380mm, rescue and chainsaw from rope and harness and maybe chipper etc in 4 wks. It should make you very employable so long as you realise you will have 'all the paper but no idea'. It takes at least a couple of years to get ok then at 5yrs you'll be a solid arb.

Yea that's what the course has, also includes some talk on business etc. I currently work as a chef and have done for the last 16yrs so I know it's all about experience and starting from scratch regardless of what my tickets say. 

• Like 1