4x4 tipper owners

Brad-bmtc

Evening boys and girls 

just wanted to give a heads up to any 4x4 tipper owners, being one myself I’ve had a bit of a time of it regarding insurance companies. I was recently involved in a road accident in my l200 tipper. I bought the truck standard and had It converted 3 years ago, I met someone on a narrow country lane and managed to stop... unfortunately... she didn’t. She admitted full liability so I was completely in the clear. The issue I had was when it came to the insurance agreeing a value on the vehicle. When I first had it converted I informed the insurance of this and they agreed it was worth around £10000. I Renewed insurance with that same reputable firm (NFU) for the next 3 years. However after the accident they wrote the truck off and tried telling me it was only worth 6.5k!! For a 2011 l200 tipper in immaculate condition with 60k on the clock. They told me that I should have updated the value every year but my argument was that it hasn’t really lost any value?!! 

anyway after many arguments and choice words and the backing of the garage that quoted the repairs!!! .... I’ve managed to haggle them up to 8.5k and as I still can’t buy one as good as mine I have bought it back and going to repair it myself (forgot to mention I was a car mechanic for 4 years before i joined the arb industry) it’s my only option as I still can’t buy another one as good for 8.5k 

Just wanted to give a heads up to any owners of similar vehicles to make sure you give them a value every year. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Brad-bmtc said:

Evening boys and girls 

just wanted to give a heads up to any 4x4 tipper owners, being one myself I’ve had a bit of a time of it regarding insurance companies. I was recently involved in a road accident in my l200 tipper. I bought the truck standard and had It converted 3 years ago, I met someone on a narrow country lane and managed to stop... unfortunately... she didn’t. She admitted full liability so I was completely in the clear. The issue I had was when it came to the insurance agreeing a value on the vehicle. When I first had it converted I informed the insurance of this and they agreed it was worth around £10000. I Renewed insurance with that same reputable firm (NFU) for the next 3 years. However after the accident they wrote the truck off and tried telling me it was only worth 6.5k!! For a 2011 l200 tipper in immaculate condition with 60k on the clock. They told me that I should have updated the value every year but my argument was that it hasn’t really lost any value?!! 

anyway after many arguments and choice words and the backing of the garage that quoted the repairs!!! .... I’ve managed to haggle them up to 8.5k and as I still can’t buy one as good as mine I have bought it back and going to repair it myself (forgot to mention I was a car mechanic for 4 years before i joined the arb industry) it’s my only option as I still can’t buy another one as good for 8.5k 

Just wanted to give a heads up to any owners of similar vehicles to make sure you give them a value every year. 

would it really matter if you gave then a value every year ? i dont think so as they just go of a dealers book price guide, i have a Nissan cabstar, ok its getting on now but only got 75k on it goes well pulls like a train and is worth its weight in gold to me, but a couple of years age when renewing insurance i asked the question is a value was not stated what difference would it make to the insurance cost and i think it was £12 cheaper, so asked what i would get paid out if it was stolen or writen off and it was about £220 due to age of truck and this was weather i gave a value or not, It dont matter who you are insured with they all rip us off but we have to have the product they sell, 

I have heard some nightmare insurance story,s over the years mostly bad ones but one good one, infact no it was brilliant, some one i know had just bought a 59 plate corsa with about every body panel dented or scathed and a blown head gasket, the idea on this was to tart it up repair head gasket and then his son could have it, he insured the car and collected about 3 days later, while driving it home some one came straight out of a T junction and hit him side on, Plod attended as it was on a main road both drivers breathalised and one was 3 times over, the corsa was written off and he got paid out £1750 after some haggling, when he had paid £250 for it 3 days before it was written off, its not often you would hear of something like this but he had told insurance co the value was 2k,

Evening boys and girls 

I was looking at buying an extra van recently. Some used ones in arb spec seem to be going up in value. My transit van seems to be worth pretty much what I paid for it 4/5 years ago. I was very surprised. I bought another new tipper trailer in the end to go behind my 4x4 until next spring when I think I will just buy new as the secondhand can prices are daft.

• Like 1

You will need to get your deposit down first. Germany is running at a third capacity so I had to wait a month for my new Stihl saw and the same will happen with vans. Then you are competing with Amazon, Royal mail, all the delivery companies and the Supermarkets all buying new vans now.

Just bought a new 3 way tipper trailer German made. Readily available no supply issues. Couldn’t get an ifor until April from same dealer. Or any other uk brand.
Trying to buy a new canopy from N and J Aluminium at the moment. Those guys are on their knees
Will investigate the van situation. I’m most likely to get a new iveco.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

would it really matter if you gave then a value every year ? i dont think so as they just go of a dealers book price guide, i have a Nissan cabstar, ok its getting on now but only got 75k on it goes well pulls like a train and is worth its weight in gold to me, but a couple of years age when renewing insurance i asked the question is a value was not stated what difference would it make to the insurance cost and i think it was £12 cheaper, so asked what i would get paid out if it was stolen or writen off and it was about £220 due to age of truck and this was weather i gave a value or not, It dont matter who you are insured with they all rip us off but we have to have the product they sell, 

I have heard some nightmare insurance story,s over the years mostly bad ones but one good one, infact no it was brilliant, some one i know had just bought a 59 plate corsa with about every body panel dented or scathed and a blown head gasket, the idea on this was to tart it up repair head gasket and then his son could have it, he insured the car and collected about 3 days later, while driving it home some one came straight out of a T junction and hit him side on, Plod attended as it was on a main road both drivers breathalised and one was 3 times over, the corsa was written off and he got paid out £1750 after some haggling, when he had paid £250 for it 3 days before it was written off, its not often you would hear of something like this but he had told insurance co the value was 2k,

There’s no such thing as a book price for a custom made vehicle, ins co words not mine. So they look at what’s for Sale at that moment and base a value on that. They came up with £6.5k as there was a ranger for sale at that price. Didn’t seem to matter that it was 4 years older, in worse condition and with more miles. They said if I had updated the value on every renewal then they would have been able to offer more. But who knows!!! Sure they still would of wiggled there way out of it, I must of had a valid point to be able to get £2k more out of them 

5 month wait on any new 4x4 I tried to buy recently, gave up and bought second hand and just kept fingers crossed (no warranty)

Ordered new doors for house early July, still no sign of them.

Wanted new patio doors, mid Jan at earliest with anybody I asked. Also managed to find 2nd hand in right colour and size, well impressed too. :)

Edited by Peasgood

2 hours ago, Brad-bmtc said:

There’s no such thing as a book price for a custom made vehicle, ins co words not mine. So they look at what’s for Sale at that moment and base a value on that. They came up with £6.5k as there was a ranger for sale at that price. Didn’t seem to matter that it was 4 years older, in worse condition and with more miles. They said if I had updated the value on every renewal then they would have been able to offer more. But who knows!!! Sure they still would of wiggled there way out of it, I must of had a valid point to be able to get £2k more out of them 

You said it was a L200 there not custom made ? there made in the 1000s but the tipper body would be custom made, but sorry the body would not really matter, you cant expect to get more money than book price for any car, truck van etc regardless of condition, mileage etc, no matter what you have done to it they have a procedure to follow and i am sorry but there is only one winner, and it wont be the person who pays the policy, a guy i work with had his Ranger written off 07 plate, 1 owner from new, 44000 mls, FSH, 12mths MOT, 4 brand new Mitchelin tyres fitted, i would of said this pick up was in VGC if not excellent, He got paid out £3250 after 6 months of arguing with them, the pick up was worth far more to him than that, but thats life, 

A customer i work for now and then is a loss adjuster with in insurance he deals with anything from nicked pushbikes to written of trucks n coaches, in your case he would be book price for pickup + 5 - 10% for body if its purpose built, As i said in the other post all insurance co will have your pants down and as much cash out of you as they can possibly get, OK your not happy with the out come as the pick up was worth more to you than the insurance co but to then its just a number on paper,