Tip Of The Day

Lee Winger

3 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

Small wedges are useful when blocking down large diameter chogs to help prevent the bar getting pinched.  You can use a twig I suppose,  but if the remaining stem is 'stripped clean' they may not be available. I use these small wedges,  I drilled a small hole thru the corner of each one and used an old boot lace and a cheap carabiner to attach them to my harness. You can tuck them into your harness to keep them out of the way or leave them dangling. A cheap hack.

20170805_171603.jpg

Or you can get a micro wedge from honeys for less than a tenner, and attach it with a retractable keyring lanyard!

49 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Or you can get a micro wedge from honeys for less than a tenner, and attach it with a retractable keyring lanyard!

i like the sound of the retractable keyring lanyard as it'd be tidy,  but my 2 plus the krabs set me back £6 !

Edited by wicklamulla

Standardize. try to run the same bar chain combos with as many saws, its much easier to keep spares and swap things around on the job should things go wrong. we run 22's on our 361, 44's,460's and 66/661's of which we have about a dozen of, one spare chain in truck covers them all. having a mix of 050 058 and 063 bars and chains is just to painful and mistakes worse. 

Use file guides if more than one guys sharpening the same saws. No 2 guys sharpen the same, guides mean no guessing and your chains will last longer as your not filing away the other guys method to get it how you like it. And it protects the file from damage in the toobox

If mixing fuel on the job, put the oil in last, if you make a mistake and overfill or have a spillage, it wont affect the oil ratio and you can correct it.

if you cant remember if you have put oil in fuel, dip paper in it and and another piece of paper in either fuel you know has oil in it or you know doesnt, once the fuel drys from the paper you should be able to tell by comparison if its got oil or not as oil tends to darken the paper

A long zip tie of the right thickness can be great for checking your chippers blade clearance

Long strong zip ties put on the side of your feed roller control bar and make good backing flags that you can see if your chippers a little hard to see out your side mirrors due to it being narrow, and they wont damage or catch on anything

Get the biggest blower you can, it will save so much time in a year over a handheld and do a better job, and most backpacks can fit in a chipper hopper. (or modified to)

Be nice to your competition. The Treeworld is a small and tough enough industry without us hurting each other. He might have gear you can rent, you might be able to team up on big jobs, you might be able to share dump sites, staff, storage and best of all, a beer and kind word at the end of a hard week. 

Edited by Timbermcpherson
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Timbermcpherson said:

Be nice to your competition. The Treeworld is a small and tough enough industry without us hurting each other. He might have gear you can rent, you might be able to team up on big jobs, you might be able to share dump sites, staff, storage and best of all, a beer and kind word at the end of a hard week. 

Edited 17 hours ago by Timbermcpherson

I like your approach.

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/07/2008 at 15:30, Drella said:

Confucious says;

"Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs."

Confucious says;

"Panties not best thing on earth, but next to it."

Confucious says;

"Crowded elevator always smell different to midget."

Confucious also say "Man who has woman on ground, has peace on Earth"

• Haha 1

Feet,  Look after them!

After many decades of laziness, especially wearing easy to kick on and off rigger boots, my feet were giving me trouble with collapsing arches and metatarsal pain.

The physio showed me how your feet affect the rest of your body in that a collapsed arch may make one knee move over slightly.  This will affect your hip (more pain) which tries to compensate   This then affects your back (more pain) which does the same which in turn ends up with that pain you have in your neck!

Lecture from the physio means I wear properly fitting lace up boots and things are more normal now.

Second tip I learned from my mother which she learned in the WRNS in the War.  When you tie up the boots with the conventional double loop,  when you pull the loop through before tightening  take the loop over the knot one more time and pass it through the hole a second time before tightening.

This knot is much less likely to become untied and yet is just as easy to release in the conventional way.

• 2 months later...