Protect your equipment!!!

Omniata

On 26/08/2016 at 22:30, karl said:

The whole micro dot thing isnt to your advantage in my opinion. The fastest way to get back to work after theft has to be insurance if you cant go out and replace immediately...if your waiting for the police to recover it your in for a cold winter. So once claimed on insurance...the property if recovered isnt yours anyway is it ?

So where are we now with all of this?

A friend has just had his quad stolen for the third time, in the same way. The thieves must be local as they have local knowledge about navigation through fields and knowledge of his replacements 

A lot of these anti theft alarms cost more than the cost of the insurance.  And then you have the problem of 

1   Maybe being woken in the night, going down for a confrontation and ending up either in hospital or court or both

2.   Finding your bike either by gps or microdot police but although it looks ok there is a possibility that it has been abused, over revved or similar 

3. The inconvenience of having to set alarms, unlock lock and lost keys

4    The extra damage caused to workshop or garage doors by making them more secure compared to a simple padlock which is easily cut and still is enough to demonstrate breaking and entering

Against this is the massive inconvenience of being without the item, but it should be not too hard to hire one while the insurance is being sorted

In my friends case though because they are local it would be good to catch them but what would happen to them in the current a climate where I saw in the news the other day a man with 100 previous convictions not being jailed.

Any further thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Billhook said:

So where are we now with all of this?

A friend has just had his quad stolen for the third time, in the same way. The thieves must be local as they have local knowledge about navigation through fields and knowledge of his replacements 

A lot of these anti theft alarms cost more than the cost of the insurance.  And then you have the problem of 

1   Maybe being woken in the night, going down for a confrontation and ending up either in hospital or court or both

2.   Finding your bike either by gps or microdot police but although it looks ok there is a possibility that it has been abused, over revved or similar 

3. The inconvenience of having to set alarms, unlock lock and lost keys

4    The extra damage caused to workshop or garage doors by making them more secure compared to a simple padlock which is easily cut and still is enough to demonstrate breaking and entering

Against this is the massive inconvenience of being without the item, but it should be not too hard to hire one while the insurance is being sorted

In my friends case though because they are local it would be good to catch them but what would happen to them in the current a climate where I saw in the news the other day a man with 100 previous convictions not being jailed.

Any further thoughts?

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Criminals are committing as many as 100 offences before being sent to prison for...

And yet when, with 40 years of squeaky clean driving behind me, I, simply due to a miscommunication with the local UFU Office, was caught driving without insurance(and I/we simply CANNOT afford to risk an uninsured PI claim)

A straight "slam-dunk", no excuses/zero tolerance, and since I vainly took it to court, got treated like dog-shit-on-his-shoe by the RM.

I was equally disgusted by the  behaviour of the Soliciter I was recommended to use, if he had been any further up the RM's arse-hole, he would have been looking out his ear-hole.

That is it would have been honest of him, when I first phoned, to advise me to represent myself, since he could do nowt for my case, instead he arranged a consultation, took my driving licence hostage, and then crawled up the RM's arse in Court, and of course charged me up front for such professional conduct and services.

Why the Police and Politicians cannot understand how these blatent double standards harm respect for the Law is quite baffling.

Marcus

Edited by difflock

3 hours ago, Billhook said:

A friend has just had his quad stolen for the third time, in the same way.

If he had gone to the trouble of jacking it up and taking a couple of wheels indoors may have helped, although if they broke into the barn or whatever and found a nice new quad on axle stands at the front maybe they would look into acquiring 2 suitable wheels to bring with them next time. It is inconvenient and takes time and thought, but I imagine there are many ways to make engine disabling switchable out of sight, a good auto electrician maybe. All this assuming it was driven  off each time.

8 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

If he had gone to the trouble of jacking it up and taking a couple of wheels indoors may have helped, although if they broke into the barn or whatever and found a nice new quad on axle stands at the front maybe they would look into acquiring 2 suitable wheels to bring with them next time. It is inconvenient and takes time and thought, but I imagine there are many ways to make engine disabling switchable out of sight, a good auto electrician maybe. All this assuming it was driven  off each time.

It was pushed uphill for about 100 yards then started

You are right about a hidden switch somewhere but many of the devils are familiar with short cuts.  He uses it every day and it is parked in a locked shed near his house with two young dogs who heard nothing 

There is a huge inconvenience in taking the wheels off every night and I suggested one of those alarm thingys which clamp over the brake disc and go off with movement about £20 I think

• 4 years later...

An interesting topic and a real concern for many of us.I've taken most precautions over the years-chains on machines,chained to each other- both in a 'theft-proof' shed (yeah right) plus within my vehicle.I've also looked at these microdot/security marking subscriptions etc,etc.As other posters have pointed out, I'd trust the Police to recover stuff/have the appropriate kit to check stolen stuff as much as I'd trust a chocolate teapot-they have other agendas-preferably being parked up in a climate-controlled big unmarked volvo estate.Even in my 'secure shed' with disklocks on the door/ metal grids over the windows etc,All a thief needs is a battery drill,Battery jigsaw plus a battery grinder after he's cut a 3' square hole in the side of the shed at 3 am when I'm uneasily dreaming of wet weather,job done!

My work vehicle is worth say,£7,500 tops,inside (and in the dual roofbox) I'd conservatily value the contents at £15,000.As a crude compromise I mark all my high value small horti machinery with my initials prominently-preferably on non-removeable  areas via writing my initials with a sharpie,then burning them over with a red-hot scriber and remarking with a black sharpie.Hardly ideal,but its marked forever-If I see a local scroat using my gear-gotcha,If not,the plod at least has something to go on re: visuals.Also,any local pawn shops can be informed/monitored too. There is,I fear,NO ideal answer.

Somewhat off-topic but I've recentltly read about amazon uk demanding police reference incidence reports for those unfortunates that open their amazon packages, and instead of finding a state of the art laptop instead find a box of kellogs cornflakes.Can you imagine the convo with the plod on the phone;re: your non-delivered item? You're going to be laffed off the phone (assuming they answer the phone),I suspect the same would apply if you report a stolen horti item-Jeez guys,they have demonstrators to arrest for God's sake.