25L Drums of chain oil

Johnsond

Hi All

I’ve always in the past just bought Oregon chain oil in the 25L drums more out of habit than any knowledge as to what’s the best product etc. Just curious if anyone has any advice regarding other makes etc, the rotatech product looks to be a fair bit cheaper. 

9 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All

I’ve always in the past just bought Oregon chain oil in the 25L drums more out of habit than any knowledge as to what’s the best product etc. Just curious if anyone has any advice regarding other makes etc, the rotatech product looks to be a fair bit cheaper. 

I use my local agri shop own brand (TFM) seems good 25ltrs for about £40 cant compare it to any other cos used it for years now,did used to use Exol and that was good too 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I buy Stihl fully synthetic from L&S in 5l cans, they start off cheaper than Jones etc and when you buy 4 you get 17% off. That makes it about £45+vat which is quite a bit cheaper than a 20l can anywhere else, but factor in paying for delivery so wait till you need some other bits.

I can confirm bars last a long time, can't tell you if it is longer than with cheaper oil as haven't run other oil for 5 years to compare.

• Like 2

I used to use Stihl oils to my local dealer closed.

Now I buy 25l tubs from ebay of Gator oil. 
Does seem stickier as it is transferred to 5l bottles. Plus is cheaper than the equivalent 5 x Stihl. Plus Plus....it's delivered in a day or two...no fuss.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 25 Litres 25L Gator CHAINSAW OIL Chain Oil Guide Bar...

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All

We use the Rotatech oil and we have found it to be fine, bars dont seem to wear out any faster, so i would say its fine, its cheaper than most other oils but that depends on what amount you use we use 25-30 ltrs a week when out cutting, The best chain oil i have found over the years is by far the Exol heavy chain oil which i used to get from a local oil fuel dealer, but then one day they had none in stock and it was going to be about a wk before it was delivered to them so thats when i ordered 100 ltrs of the Rotatech and stuck with it every since,

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

talking of oil, how long would you expect it to last, before it sort of separates or goes a bit funny!?

i use the Gator stuff

Never had any trouble with oil going wonky.

It's not contaminated with water is it? 

last 25l Gator lasted 9 months no problem.

I keep fuels and oils in the garage, hopefully frost free. Don't like leaving them overnight in vehicles to avoid condensation.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Never had any trouble with oil going wonky.

It's not contaminated with water is it? 

last 25l Gator lasted 9 months no problem.

I keep fuels and oils in the garage, hopefully frost free. Don't like leaving them overnight in vehicles to avoid condensation.

ok cheers bob

nah, certainly ain't water!!

it looks exactly like golden syrup and seems more runny than it used to be

2 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

I used to use Stihl oils to my local dealer closed.

Now I buy 25l tubs from ebay of Gator oil. 
Does seem stickier as it is transferred to 5l bottles. Plus is cheaper than the equivalent 5 x Stihl. Plus Plus....it's delivered in a day or two...no fuss.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 25 Litres 25L Gator CHAINSAW OIL Chain Oil Guide Bar...

I use this as well. Seems OK. I seem to get sent 50% off ebay vouchers every so often so use them to buy chain and 2 stroke oil. 

• Like 1