First proper chipper-tw150 or.......?

Treetom15

25 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Why not just buy a new chipper if its for your business then you will have a warranty. I understand its quite a bit of money but there seems to be plenty of work out there. 

Did occur to me, but at the moment I’m in full time employment and I want a machine I can get to pay for itself doing weekends & the odd weekdays. If I had finance on a machine I’d feel pushed to work more weekends etc to pay for it, if I get an older machine then I can do it at my own speed....if that makes any sense?

• Confused 1

It's been said before it's confusing how the old 150s command such a high price. Seeing as the design is over 20 years old you might think they have been improved on and well, they have. Newer chippers get through stuff faster.

The only good thing I guess is if you come to sell it on in a couple of years then you should more or less get your money back (unless we're all in recession).

Similar question in a way for me as not full time, I've gone for gravity fed chipper. Much cheaper to get a reliable machine, I just couldn't justify the money to buy and insure a big chipper and worried that if there's a repair bill on hydraulics, flywheel etc could be thousands.

Realistically for 90% of what I do, smaller trees, hedges etc M500 is absolutely fine and if I get a bigger job on then I hire in a TW230 for a day.

So I'd say no, don't buy a ragged old 150 but rather start with a CS100 or M500 if you can find one and then chop it in when you eventually go full time and the business warrants it.

Maybe depends when that will be I guess.

• Like 2

I’ve started with a CS100 sure it’s a bit slower but when you get used to it and plan how you cut stuff down it’s not bad, for big jobs i hire in a bigger machine, the tiny running costs of the wee CS100 means the extra i make on each job covers the occasional hire. £2.5k in as new condition, blades hadn’t even been turned! small, light, fits in the garage etc cheap way to start

• Like 1

How much is it to hire a TW230 for a day all in? thx
I usually use Ben Burgess, their website lists £135+Vat plus fuel. The machines have been really good, low hours, sharp blades, clean and for me handy as only a few miles from home.

Only other thing to factor in is hired in plant insurance, I have it added to my tools policy as cheapest way over the year but you need to ensure you're covered if it gets nicked or even someone runs into it on the road as it's an £18k machine.
  • Like 1

I’m lucky in the sense that I have access to a hire company locally who will supply 230tracked or tr6 for £100+vat for the day, which is cheap IMO! Re the cs100’s....I’ve used them, and personally if I was going to spend 2/3k on one I’d rather put that money towards something that will actually chip decent stuff ? they for sure have their place but I’m fairly rural and most of the work is usually decent sized tree/timber so you’d max it out very quick! The 2nd hand market recently seems to have gone crazy, I’ve been offered a 2010 Jensen A540 tow behind for £8400......seems like a lot but it’s a much larger machine?‍♂️

• Like 3