First proper chipper-tw150 or.......?

Treetom15

Hi everyone, looking for some advice regarding a chipper for myself setting up first time. Long story short, I’ve been offered a van & chipper by a friend who’s changing profession. It’s a tipper transit (needs a proper arb back building) and a Timberwolf TW150. The chipper has done 2100 hours, not 100% sure on age but I’d imagine with those sort of hours it’s probably 2006/8 maybe? It’s roughly £6k, looks to be in decent condition, not had a hard life for the last few years-basically my dilemma boils down to.....

Is a machine of this age/hours worth the money, or would I be better putting that £6k ish towards something like a Jensen tow behind? Not interested in financing a newer machine, I’m pretty mechanically minded so not worried about changing blades, anvil, servicing etc. Any thoughts much appreciated! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

Hi everyone, looking for some advice regarding a chipper for myself setting up first time. Long story short, I’ve been offered a van & chipper by a friend who’s changing profession. It’s a tipper transit (needs a proper arb back building) and a Timberwolf TW150. The chipper has done 2100 hours, not 100% sure on age but I’d imagine with those sort of hours it’s probably 2006/8 maybe? It’s roughly £6k, looks to be in decent condition, not had a hard life for the last few years-basically my dilemma boils down to.....

Is a machine of this age/hours worth the money, or would I be better putting that £6k ish towards something like a Jensen tow behind? Not interested in financing a newer machine, I’m pretty mechanically minded so not worried about changing blades, anvil, servicing etc. Any thoughts much appreciated! 

My pal has just got a 2010 Timberwolf 150 DHB tow behind not sure on hours clock doesn’t work it’s a really good machine the only problem he has had with it is he was chipping and the rotor fins had shattered and came through the discharge shoot leaving a few dints on it’s way out and the 3 belts that run the rotor had shot off and apart from the chassis being snapped when he got it it’s a brilliant machine to use runs like a dream and starts of the key first time every time the other advantage is parts are on the shelf nearly everywhere you look I think he paid £7895 about 3 month ago makes workload so much easier but you do need a good chip box and ideally a lid don’t forget to cover the headboard as well otherwise say goodbye to your back window 

Jack 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Treetom15 said:

I would definitely say that’s way to much...it never ceases to amaze me what people ask for and pay for second hand Chippers so here is a reality check just today I sold my 2018 Arborists 150p 155 hours for £9,250 and it will have a service before it goes.bargin or could I have got more? I think bargin but I know what I wanted which was slightly more but it’s sold and have new one coming.good deal for the buyer and i’am happy for what I got.so all I would say it hold your horses and have a good look around and you will get a decent year Chipper for your money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

6k sounds a bit on the high side for a machine as old as that.

I did think that. Like I said, I’m only guessing on age, but based on the hours I figured it must be in that region. 
Comparison wise, anyone have any experience with the Jensen 530 tow behind? They’re usually similar price, I’ve only used the tracked ones so unsure about the tow behinds 

55 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Sounds like a real bargain too - got to be worth £10k plus surely?

It’s as rough as a badgers arse needs the safety bar on the hopper mended as it doesn’t work it needs stripped right down and shot blasted painted and needs new side panels as well i thought it was a fortune for what it is deffo not worth 10k + it’s still 10 years old 

Jack