Cattery & Kennels business

harvey b davison

I can only speak from observation, and speaking to these people. There is one down the road from me, the couple who own it bought a new Motorhome a couple of years back, I've NEVER seen it turn a wheel. I'm with John on this one. Unless you've got a lot of money to invest to grow to a size where you can employ staff I'd give it a wide swerve.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Does anyone have any knowledge of running a cattery and kennels business.

My wife and I are seriously considering moving into this type of business, but have no experience, so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

H.

Hello Harvey

I work in the Isle of Wight council as an Environment officer and a dog warden. We use private kennels for our stray dogs as do the police when they seize dogs. The rules and legislation on running private kennels are so stringent that your initial workload will be exhausting and when you choose premises you really must choose the best you can afford. The kennels we use were taken over by new owners and they had to spend thousands and thousands to bring them up to code. Before the pandemic they were doing so well business wise and they have such a wonderful life despite working very hard. Sorry to be so depressing and if it’s a dream of yours then definitely go for it but be prepared. To be honest once Covid has finally dissipated the whole world will be travelling so you will do really well. I wish you the very very best of luck ? ? I can try to persuade the kennel owner to have a wee chat with you if you like ?

• Like 1

I grew up on kennels and no was was me or my sister going to take them over from my dad's, it's a 365 days a year commitment.
People turning up unannounced at 7pm on a Sunday to pick up woof as they got back early and presumed it'd be fine. Dealing with the neurotic owner who's dog has to be hand fed with a recycled wood fork at exactly 3.17pm to avoid distressing it (I'm not exaggerating)
Ended up in a&e twice from getting bittern.
It's quite a enjoyable career don't get me wrong but your times not yours anymore and you can't just leave the place for a few hrs to nip out even for a meal as the license states someone must be on the property at all times. You'll end up having trips out separately from the Mrs more often than not unless you employ someone to cover for you which really eats into your profit and you have to totally rely on them.
Don't go into it with rose tinted glasses of playing with animals and nice walks out, it's over 50%cleaning up shit and piss and dealing with people not the animals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gray git said:

I grew up on kennels and no was was me or my sister going to take them over from my dad's, it's a 365 days a year commitment.
People turning up unannounced at 7pm on a Sunday to pick up woof as they got back early and presumed it'd be fine. Dealing with the neurotic owner who's dog has to be hand fed with a recycled wood fork at exactly 3.17pm to avoid distressing it (I'm not exaggerating)
Ended up in a&e twice from getting bittern.
It's quite a enjoyable career don't get me wrong but your times not yours anymore and you can't just leave the place for a few hrs to nip out even for a meal as the license states someone must be on the property at all times. You'll end up having trips out separately from the Mrs more often than not unless you employ someone to cover for you which really eats into your profit and you have to totally rely on them.
Don't go into it with rose tinted glasses of playing with animals and nice walks out, it's over 50%cleaning up shit and piss and dealing with people not the animals.

You did make me laugh ? bless you and you are spot on about having to have someone on the premises 24/7 luckily the owner of the kennels we use has a large family so they all work together as a team. And I see the owners turning up to collect their precious wee pets and causing so many headaches with outrageous demands ? I personally would not enjoy locking animals in cages and would feel sorry for them all the time. I see some kennels that allow their dogs to roam the whole grounds freely and sleep where they like and that would be an amazing place to work. However once a fight breaks out all hell breaks loose ??‍♀️ Life is almost comical it’s so complicated ! It’s going swimmingly one minute then in a heartbeat can ruin lives ?

Edited by Samantha48

We found some of the most spoilt fussed over precious pooches loved coming to the kennels as they could actually be a dog, run around, paddle in the stream at the bottom of the field, bark at anything they wanted too and eat horse shit in the field like a propper dog.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Gray git said:

We found some of the most spoilt fussed over precious pooches loved coming to the kennels as they could actually be a dog, run around, paddle in the stream at the bottom of the field, bark at anything they wanted too and eat horse shit in the field like a propper dog.

? sounds great ?? I might book a kennel for myself !!! Horse manure YUMMY ??

A friend of mine owns and runs Chichester cattery . He is an ex Chi rugby 1st team player and now takes part in iron man events and triathlons . His wife recently passed away and is sorely missed . She was a physio that helped me from time to  time back in my Judo and Squash playing days . But to get to the point I see him out and about training for this and that on a regular basis . You could not meet a nicer bloke . BUT he owns the place and has staff . My cat used to stay there when he was alive .

• Like 1

I've friends up the road who took over the kennel/cattery, he used to be a head chef in a London restaurant so never saw his kids, running his own business with his wife was less stressful meant a lot more time seeing the family.

They shut down for a month every January, not many people using it and then they get to have a break. I think the virus has buggered their business though, they were selling fruit and veg for a while and I don't like to say where it will all end.

• Sad 2