Fungus Identification

ent

I noticed this fungus on the trunks of two separate trees (a lime and a sycamore). Both trees were alive but appeared to be of low vigour (short twig extension growth).

The wood close to the mushroom beneath the bark on the sycamore was brownish and slightly gritty in texture. From ident pictures the fungus looks like a Mycena spp, I think.

Is this a saprophytic fungus taking advantage of a portion of dead bark on a declining tree? Or a parasitic fungus?

Any comments? 

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I am no fungi expert but looking on Google this appears to be Turkey Tail.  Anyone disagree?  Also my question is that as this is growing on a fibreglass flat roof on my house does this indicate that there are small holes allowing moisture into the wood below?  Or could this exist on a fibreglass surface with little on it except some moss and algae?

Turkey tail.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2020 at 14:43, Alinicoll said:

Yes, it is turkey tail and I'd say it's living on the wood below. It has a wide range but I don't think fibreglass is a known substrate!

Probably worth pulling the fruit bodies off and seeing what's underneath.

I cleaned off the fruiting bodies, and pressure washed the roof.  It is full of pinholes.  The builder who installed it didn't put enough coats of the resin over the top of the glass matt sheets.  Such a waste as now the whole lot will have to come off and be renewed.  All it needed when it was applied three years ago was (I guess) a few more coats.

Here is what was under the turkey tail, and what was under the fibreglass and OSB.

Tegenaria Domestica looked very healthy, and Pipistrelle was very annoyed to be disturbed.

I have just finished putting up tin sheets (tile effect), with just a few trims and edging pieces to do at the weekend (if the snow doesn't come that is!).

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

IMG_4300.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Is it that far gone that you cant treat from underneath then reapply a fresh fiberglass/rubber vulc over the top?

Well, the problem is I didn't know how far gone it was.  When walking on, the OSB boards had gone very soft in places, and there is no access from below.  So I decided to strip it off, dry as necessary and re-do with roofing sheets.

• Like 1

Well, the problem is I didn't know how far gone it was.  When walking on, the OSB boards had gone very soft in places, and there is no access from below.  So I decided to strip it off, dry as necessary and re-do with roofing sheets.

Spongy is defo knackered! You bought your roofing sheets yet or still in the pipeline? I’ve just done my log store in tile effect steel coated, 30yr guarantee on them. They do insulated sheets too but i didnt bother as i wanted a lot of air flow obviously for logs so would be false economy, but in your case could be an advantage? No water droplets etc to worry about. Just a thought for ya.

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

Spongy is defo knackered! You bought your roofing sheets yet or still in the pipeline? I’ve just done my log store in tile effect steel coated, 30yr guarantee on them. They do insulated sheets too but i didnt bother as i wanted a lot of air flow obviously for logs so would be false economy, but in your case could be an advantage? No water droplets etc to worry about. Just a thought for ya.

Yeah thanks for that.  I did ask about insulated ones and they didn’t seem to be available.  I don’t need it for the insulation but it would have been good to avoid condensation.

Job done now anyway - put them on today, just got to add trims and gap filling pieces.  Hopefully condensation will be minimal.

• Like 1