Hydraulic oil spill

Nopedigree

Hi All,

Unfortunately while a local building supply firm was delivering sand and cement last night a hose on the lifting arm gave way resulting in the newly built wall, pillar grass and road getting a good coating. The manager come out and while the driver used sand and his spill kit to contain the oil from running to far down the road he reported it to the local council. Later two young lads polled up from the council (it was dark then) saying all they had was granules to put on the oil, pointless as it had been covered in sand to contain hours before. I left then shovelling contaminated sand on to their truck.

This morning in day light 80% of the sand is still there and the mats and “sausages” from the spill kit remain. Should the council carry out the clean up, obviously charging the company or their insurance? Any suggestions what to do or tell the supply company to do to clean up the brickwork and more importantly the lime mortar used in the wall? Do I just leave the grass verge to allow the weather to wash the oil away over time or will it die off?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

NoPedigree

I’d of said yeah, argument of clean up is between council and builders merchants. If you’ve reported it then its all you can do. Council have attended so have acknowledged it, stand down. Only thing you could do is get a case reference off them to cover you, otherwise, leave it to them.

I'd wang an enquiry into the council saying that there is still stuff in the road (do it anonymously if you prefer) in case there is some sort of further issue. If it was me (I used to deal with stuff on the highway) I'd have wanted the sand and sausages off the road a fresh layer of granules put down and swept up after absorbing any residual oil, then a few chucked down as a visual cue that there was a spill and the surface was likely to be a little slippery still, plus a few slippery road boards.

I would speak to the supply company about the grass and wall - let their insurance deal with it.