Bandsaw Mill advice - Trakmet or other?

Shanemac

17 minutes ago, Big J said:

Woodmizers are OK. A tidy product with excellent marketing and there some advantages to the one post head system, but accuracy of cut isn't one of them. 

They stuck doggedly to their design for a long time, but they are having to respond to a drop in market share by offering mills with a larger throat and a more stable design, incorporating rails and posts on both sides. 

I had the first Trakmet sawmill in the UK. I went out to the factory in Poland a couple of times. They are a pretty decent company to deal with and their machines are solid. Not very sophisticated and their engineering tolerances at the time were lacking a bit. They made up for that with steel. Lots of steel. 

I put 1100 hours on mine before I sold it and the guys who bought my business have added another 6-700 without issue. They are much cheaper than Woodmizers but certainly their equal. 

If I had the money I'd go Mebor though. That's a lovely mill.

I had the Trakmet, with the Logmaster LM2 prior to it and the Woodmizer LT40 before that. The Logmaster was the stand out mill being both solidly made and well engineered. 

Fundamentally, go for as few electrics as possible, as many hydraulics as possible and as much steel as possible. Also, as wide a band as possible. There is no substitute for power either.

Thanks for your reply. I think I read in another thread that you had the bigger tts-800? I'm assuming that was electric drive?

Was that purchased before they appointed  an agent in Hereford? 

1 minute ago, Shanemac said:

Thanks for your reply. I think I read in another thread that you had the bigger tts-800? I'm assuming that was electric drive?

Was that purchased before they appointed  an agent in Hereford? 

I did have the wide cutting mill, and yes, my purchase preceded the agent's arrival on the scene. I bought more Trakmet machines afterwards, but always went direct. 

Trigger my son is 15 years old and severely autistic and cannot string more than a few words together but you new that before your little outburst.Your a nasty piece of work when challenged on anything which is why i blocked you so i do not have to read some of the garbage you spout.Just showing your true colours yet again. (pathetic) 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Trigger my son is 15 years old and severely autistic and cannot string more than a few words together but you new that before your little outburst.Your a nasty piece of work when challenged on anything which is why i blocked you so i do not have to read some of the garbage you spout.Just showing your true colours yet again. (pathetic) 

Thats a real shame Les.

Curious why you unblocked me then? 

Are logosol b1001 decent enough to mill 1 or 2 decent logs a week ? More than likely 1 or 2 a MTH though And for a first mill ( never used or seen one running in person) are they simple enough to use am a bench hand by trade so used to using machines 

??????
Are you having a laugh?
The B1001 is a £10k (starting price)
Highly professional 34” bandsaw made in Sweden.
1 or 2 logs a week?????????
Try 1 or 2 decent logs an hour.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

36 minutes ago, Mark armstrong said:

Just for my own use buddy haha more than likely resaw the slabs I have too save me chugging loads off with the router others I have seen don't do as wide a cut aswell and I like the wider slabs 

Hi Mark 

I put a post up ref resawing elm a few days ago. I was doing pretty much what you are describing as a favour for a mate and to be honest we would have been just as quick to set up the router sled. Firstly it was killing the blades big time and secondly at max width the blade which was a brand new one correctly tensioned was deviating up and down in the cut, not by much but a few mm so enough to need remedial work with the router if you are after a totally flat piece. Admittedly that was only 1 piece of Elm which has been drying for about 4 years but maybe something worth thinking of. 

• Like 2