Bandsaw Mill advice - Trakmet or other?

Shanemac

25 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

They work together? ?‍♂️ 

I notice it never bothered you when he was calling another members wife fat? Selective disgust maybe?

I actually told Eggs to find a fat bird to keep him warm in the winter. Get your facts right. I don't comment on other people's families. You post some halfway decent stuff at times but then can't help yourself, your viscous streak comes out. For the record, pal, don't try bullying me, it won't work.

Just now, David Cropper said:

I actually told Eggs to find a fat bird to keep him warm in the winter. Get your facts right. I don't comment on other people's families. You post some halfway decent stuff at times but then can't help yourself, your viscous streak comes out. For the record, pal, don't try bullying me, it won't work.

I never mentioned you in my last post and I was not referring to you either. Les made that claim in this very thread, but I guess your White Knight internet savior mode is only reserved for my posts? And yes, if pushed enough my viscous streak comes out, pal.....

15 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I never mentioned you in my last post and I was not referring to you either. Les made that claim in this very thread, but I guess your White Knight internet savior mode is only reserved for my posts? And yes, if pushed enough my viscous streak comes out, pal.....

My mistake, I didn't see that it was someone else mentioning another blokes fat (not) wife. I stand by my original comment about your malicious remark about that lad's son. 

3 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

My mistake, I didn't see that it was someone else mentioning another blokes fat (not) wife. I stand by my original comment about your malicious remark about that lad's son. 

?‍♂️?‍♂️Stop using the Fat word. You know how that goes with women 

• Haha 1

Woodmizers are OK. A tidy product with excellent marketing and there some advantages to the one post head system, but accuracy of cut isn't one of them. 

They stuck doggedly to their design for a long time, but they are having to respond to a drop in market share by offering mills with a larger throat and a more stable design, incorporating rails and posts on both sides. 

I had the first Trakmet sawmill in the UK. I went out to the factory in Poland a couple of times. They are a pretty decent company to deal with and their machines are solid. Not very sophisticated and their engineering tolerances at the time were lacking a bit. They made up for that with steel. Lots of steel. 

I put 1100 hours on mine before I sold it and the guys who bought my business have added another 6-700 without issue. They are much cheaper than Woodmizers but certainly their equal. 

If I had the money I'd go Mebor though. That's a lovely mill.

I had the Trakmet, with the Logmaster LM2 prior to it and the Woodmizer LT40 before that. The Logmaster was the stand out mill being both solidly made and well engineered. 

Fundamentally, go for as few electrics as possible, as many hydraulics as possible and as much steel as possible. Also, as wide a band as possible. There is no substitute for power either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for their input, and experiences with different mills. My reservations with wood-mizers was the cantilever head, (although that's mostly listening to others opinions as I've never actually seen it in person) and as far as I can see they don't actually have a very big log capacity in the lt20/40 range? I did think about an lt15 wide version, which doesn't use the cantilever design but the petrol option was an additional £3,000+ if I remember correctly. No hydraulics available either. But I'll certainly give them further consideration.

Have 30+ acres of mostly hardwood and some larch on the farm and an 8t swing shovel to extract the wood, and potentially load a sawmill but clearly not as good as a telehandler etc for that job.

Although I'm no professional, it will have quite a bit of work to do.

No 3 phase so either engine or generator powered.

I am drawn to the trakmet as it just looks and sounds like a good solid piece of kit.

Having not seen many machines in the flesh, does anyone know how straightforward it would be to replace an electric motor with a petrol or diesel engine? 

Generally speaking, is the price the price with sawmill dealers/manufacturers or is there room for negotiation?