Bandsaw Mill advice - Trakmet or other?

Shanemac

Hi yeah thats the kind of way I have just set mine up and being just on 2inch bearers even with big logs 2 of us with hooks should be able to roll them onto the bed its moving the logs round the yard we our yard is part of a farm complex and the farmer has like 3 tele handlers and he would not even rent me one for an after noon 

• Like 1

Hi yeah thats the kind of way I have just set mine up and being just on 2inch bearers even with big logs 2 of us with hooks should be able to roll them onto the bed its moving the logs round the yard we our yard is part of a farm complex and the farmer has like 3 tele handlers and he would not even rent me one for an after noon 

Farmers eh? [emoji3] 

I built my Log Deck out of treated 8” beams. On a very slight slope and dug in at the rear so it’s only 12” off the deck at the back.

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_8708.jpgIMG_6614.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/11/2020 at 11:05, trigger_andy said:

I always assumed it was available from the get-go? Not of interest to me so not really looked into it. Could it be the new version of the Smart-Set is due out in April? I seem to remember you saying one of your buddies has a B1001 and he's not set up the smart-set yet, but has it ready?

I have fitted the smart set B1001 but it developed a fault so Logosol have sent a replacement which I just haven't had time to fit yet.

The smart set controls the saw head feed and speed as well as the depth of cut all by the means of a control panel and joy stick, when it works it's great when it doesn't there is no manual over-ride and you have to take the whole lot off.

Fitting instructions are interesting to say the least, there are pictures of the various stages and parts to fit but not of all the stages or of all the parts but no written instructions whats so ever.

Any problems are best sorted through Logosol who are brilliant and not through the UK stockist who is next to fecking useless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Davies per chance?

Do you deal with Per, the UK rep? He's always been really good with me.

Yes that's them, you dealt with them too then!

I deal with Andreas in Sweden.

When I first had the problem with the smart set I immediately phoned Davies and they said they had never fitted one and would get back to me, that was in July, I'm still waiting!

• Like 1

Just now, Forest2Furniture said:

Yes that's them, you dealt with them too then!

I deal with Andreas in Sweden.

When I first had the problem with the smart set I immediately phoned Davies and they said they had never fitted one and would get back to me, that was in July, I'm still waiting!

Yeh, bought my Mill through them. I stopped calling them after the first few weeks as it was pointless, ended up just dealing with Per direct. 

Davies must just drop them an email and forget all about it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Avants with a Log Grab are brilliant bits of kit. The 750 can lift 1.5t quite easily and is a dream to load onto the bed. I get a buddies in for £100 from Friday to Monday morning, delivered inc fuel.

But for me the easiest solution is the Log Deck I built. Once they are loaded on I have over 10t of Logs that just need rolled over onto the Mill when its in position. Thats either loading up the deck with the Avant or when I get logs delivered they get loaded right onto the deck and behind it. 

I found loading the bed of the woodmizer quite taxing with a grapple loader, especially when opening the grab, a log deck would have been much easier.

I see the same with the lucas mill, where a log deck is impractical and the chap loads it with a sling from the grab rather than the grab directly, which is why @Billhook's old fashioned grapple looks of interest.

Just now, openspaceman said:

I found loading the bed of the woodmizer quite taxing with a grapple loader, especially when opening the grab, a log deck would have been much easier.

I see the same with the lucas mill, where a log deck is impractical and the chap loads it with a sling from the grab rather than the grab directly, which is why @Billhook's old fashioned grapple looks of interest.

For sure!

A log deck is simply the best solution. Gently  roll the log on by hand. No shocks or judders to the Mill and checking alignment again. (Portable)

But out in the field I do like the Avant. It’s very manoeuvrable. The log grab allows me to position the log any which way I like and can be eased onto the bed. Does not always work out that way of course. ?

I also have the Winch and ramps. Also works great. 

• Like 1