Bandsaw Mill advice - Trakmet or other?

Shanemac

1 minute ago, Ratman said:

I dont have a “saw” Les, so my limits are potentially endless emoji4.png

Not aimed at you ratman. Preach me none will trigger (plank) How can you compare a manual loading saw to a hydraulic one ?? God give me strength ?I have a backhoe to load my mills and not even close 

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Yeh, looking on the website there does not seem to be any hydraulic options? Im sure there was before so thats a bit odd. Unless they have removed them for the new setworks Rough mentioned?  I was under the impression the setworks is for adjusting the saw head height and feeding it through the log, but it seems like more options are coming at a later date. 

Will this work off of the petrol model thats used in remote locations? No idea? 

But I do have the winch on my 751 and its very good. Makes very light work of loading and turning big logs. 

IMG_9671.jpgIMG_9667.jpg

Looks a good set up and obviously works well for you. Do you get much flex in the bed? Interestingly I noticed that the b1001 with the trailer came in at under 750kg as its unbraked. In comparison the trakmet standard ttp-600 with no hydraulics and no trailer comes in at 1,250kg! There must be a lot of steel in it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shanemac said:

Looks a good set up and obviously works well for you. Do you get much flex in the bed? Interestingly I noticed that the b1001 with the trailer came in at under 750kg as its unbraked. In comparison the trakmet standard ttp-600 with no hydraulics and no trailer comes in at 1,250kg! There must be a lot of steel in it.

Different league of saw the trak-met shane. How far are you from hereford ? 

4 hours ago, topchippyles said:

I know pawl who is the dealer in hereford and used his machine which is the electric version TTS-800 Premium,Its wrong to say they are dealers as they are not really.To me a dealer is someone who has all spares in stock and has all the machines on display for a future customer to buy and view, this is not the case with the uk so called dealer. Pawl is a very helpful guy but is just a middle man who takes payment and speaks direct with the factory as he is polish and the the sawmills and made in poland.I myself would go down the hydraulic route as most of the top mills (wood-mizer/ timber king/forester/trak-met) all use hydraulic loading as i have used all 4 for a couple of days at least so had the feel of using them. 

Budget is your main factor here but in fairness to trigger he has the logosol 751(toy) and its a very well built machine and will handle the log size your after milling.Good option would be a small folk lift with the b1001 

Anyone who spends a day using a tool like the wood-mizer LT-20/40 would never look at the manual handling saws if budget allows the  hydraulic option.

Thanks for your reply. What was your opinion of the Trak-met you used? And in comparison to wood-mizer for example? I spoke to him briefly a week or two ago and got a price list, 16 week lead time roughly. 

Budget would be as little as possible, realistic, but I'd rather buy the right machine first time around. 

Although I'm only expecting to use it for home use really there would be a fair bit of work for it. Second hand would be good but don't see much around. 

Just now, Shanemac said:

I have the older, but still available version of the B751, there is also a Pro version that has the same bad as the B1001. 

Logosol said they would make a trailer package for the B751 but in the end outsourced it to Knott in Germany, they seem to be quite a respected Trailer Manufacturer. They where tasked with building a Trailer that the whole B751 Mill would slot into and still be under the 750kg limit. 

As regards flex there is some if you jack one leg up but there is zero flex when level and set up for use. I can take 1/8" veneer cuts the full length of the log. No torque or twist in the chassis when pulling behind the car. 

Sorry but I cant comment on the B1001 or the B751 Pro but they went away from the original B751 for rigidity reasons and also the Pro bed being the same as the B1001 will take the same additions, ie Set works, Ramps, winch, toe boards etc etc. 

If the budget is a concern and its for farm use and at home I really dont see the need for the Trac-met to be honest? If you've got £15,000 (aprox) Id be looking at the B1001 if you wanted new or seeing what that could buy you on the second hand market, ie a Woodmizer. Woodmizers website lists used Mills, might be worth a look? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shanemac said:

Thanks for your reply. What was your opinion of the Trak-met you used? And in comparison to wood-mizer for example? I spoke to him briefly a week or two ago and got a price list, 16 week lead time roughly. 

Budget would be as little as possible, realistic, but I'd rather buy the right machine first time around. 

Although I'm only expecting to use it for home use really there would be a fair bit of work for it. Second hand would be good but don't see much around. 

I had a good spell on the one he has in the yard and must admit its the best one i have ever used including the wood-mizer LT40. Sat in the chair remotely operating the thing.The one pawl has is the biggest trak-met make and it has an 8 metre bed.Link below to his model 

The wood-mizer LT 20 and 40 are awesome machines but i found them noisy as hell and need the old ear muffs on all day. Has a massive diesel tank just above the saw head but a beast of a thing.Until you see how easy they load and spin the logs its hard to imagine.If your budget will stretch then the LT20 would be the one second hand and should be around 15k which will be trailer mounted.

Edited by topchippyles

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

Logosol’s smart set is now being released in around April next year due to delays.
Hopefully the smart handling system will follow shortly after.
emoji106.png

I always assumed it was available from the get-go? Not of interest to me so not really looked into it. Could it be the new version of the Smart-Set is due out in April? I seem to remember you saying one of your buddies has a B1001 and he's not set up the smart-set yet, but has it ready?

• Like 1