Looks like no more Makita Petrol Saws

Echo

Thanks for taking the time to put
sone figures on it. This is what so many don’t understand. It’s also why the idea of battery lorries etc is laughable. 

we could, however, have a mains powered lorry! Linked back to the mains by the wheels. That would work. We could link many of them together and call it a goods train! 

Battery lorries already exist. See Tesla.
[emoji106]

Both of those technologies require an huge amount more energy than the biggest petrol chainsaw. 

There really isn’t a much more efficient way to remove green wood in a controlled manner than a chainsaw chain. And the battery technology really isn’t good enough to run them in a forest scenario. Hence my original assertion that petrol saws for forestry will not be going anywhere soon. 

For firewood in the yard though, a mains saw is perfect. However- they have topped out at a kw lower than required to match even something like a 362 because most domestic properties and a good amount of commercial ones do not have three phase.  Then you get into the weight- three phase saws get very heavy. I reckon a petrol engine has them beat on this front too. So they are limited really to machine mounted cross cut saws in sawmills. 

Yes I agree with your first paragraph.?

Band saws are many times more efficient than chainsaws.[emoji848]

Petrol saws will be gone in ten years.[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

I’m not allowed to discuss what I know about your 3rd paragraph..[emoji6][emoji106]

Yet...
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, doobin said:

This is what so many don’t understand. It’s also why the idea of battery lorries etc is laughable. 

The biggest electric lorry in the world is certainly a bit of a laugh as it is currently producing more energy than it consumes.

That is a very advanced level of understanding on someone’s part!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

The biggest electric lorry in the world is certainly a bit of a laugh as it is currently producing more energy than it consumes.

Turn it into a power station , right now .  Job done !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bolt said:

That is a very advanced level of understanding on someone’s part!

No it's not, it's no different than a hydroelectric pumped storage station. Basic physics.

3 hours ago, doobin said:

It doesn't mean they are viable for anything more than inner city multi drop deliveries (which they are ideal for)

Remember the milk floats, a guy close to me used to buy them and plumb

them into his workshop, 50p worth of diesel charged them for a week.

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yes I agree with your first paragraph.?

Band saws are many times more efficient than chainsaws.emoji848.png

Petrol saws will be gone in ten years.emoji22.pngemoji22.pngemoji22.png

I’m not allowed to discuss what I know about your 3rd paragraph..emoji6.pngemoji106.png

Yet...
emoji106.png

I agree with paragraph 3, not so sure if you mean they will be legislated

out of existance, or whether the new tech will be a viable alternative or

one thats forced on us.

• Like 1