Looks like no more Makita Petrol Saws

Echo

19 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I agree completely, I just mean that when you take esc's, components etc and put them in small package like a chainsaw then heat and vibration is an issue. I've seen a lot of burnt out esc's or ones that have an error as they're a computer. They also suffer from heat dissipation. To combat the vibration you end up hot snotting wiring and stuff so it's not easily replaceable. I've also seen a lot of compact high power motors toast bearings as there's no oiling system. 

I want to see electric chainsaws. For a climbing saw it's a definite advantage. I just feel the tech has a long way to go yet. Making things modular so you can swap out a motor easily, improving on the build quality and getting rid of the plastics so they are as hardy as the current pro saws. 

It will be interesting to see the long term on hard use Stihl electric saws. I just don't think there's enough out there yet to create a educated opinion. There's not a lot in the hands of Arborists in comparison to other saws. People still haven't formed an opinion on the 500i long term. We're still in gen 1... 

I agree, the 500i has not proved its self yet, but if I had to guess, the fuel injection system will be the least likely part to fail, I saw a tear down of one, component wise theres only a few electrical parts, the dam powere going through the bearings and the mechanical components is what I would worry about in that saw.

I agree about the heat issues with electrics, but I have never had a motor fail in an angle grinder, so why would it fail if I put it in a chainsaw, with adequte ventilation, and as regard controllers, plenty of places to put them in the airstream just like they do inside a generator, the diodes and control card can be cooled by the air leaving the motor, for Makita who are in the motor business for a very long time, this will all be a piece of cake, the battery will be the killer to get right.

You say plastic, thats ballistic grade plastic, and will be exellent in a chainsaw.

Yes, esc 's are always being cooked, they are difficult to place on the drone so

you get air going to them, the rotors are no help as putting them under them

would result in lost lift, but in a chainsaw, we do not need lift, unless we want

to fly to the top of the tree and start pruning.

Edited by Echo

1 minute ago, Echo said:

I agree, the 500i has not proved its self yet, but if I had to guess, the fuel injection

system will be the least likely part to fail, I was a tear down of one, component wise

theres only a few electrical parts, the dam powere going through the bearings and

the case stability of the mechanical components is what I would worry about in that saw.

I agree about the heat issues with electrics, but I have never had a motor fail in an angle

grinder, so why would it fail if I put it in a chainsaw, with adequte ventilation, and as regard

controllers, plenty of places to put them in the airstream just like they do inside a generator,

the diodes and control card can be cooled by the air leaving the motor, for Makita who are in

the motor business for a very long time, this will all be a piece of cake, the batter will be the 

killer to get right.

The issues with the 500i are the issues I would be worried about with the electric saws. More torque, more speed, less structure, smaller bearings without a continuous feed of oil.... 

Well, angle grinders are a different tool, they have their own built in safety in the fact you would be doing well to stall a grinder during use. I have seen a lot of burnt out drills though and considering how often a chainsaw gets stalled in the cut and how hack handed some people are with chainsaws I don't think it will be long before there's a smell of magic smoke. Only way to combat it is to have a built in stall cut out based on amps but DeWalt have that already in their 10.8v drills and I've seen tonnes of them burnt up. 

As you know that's the issue with electrics, load goes up, amps go up, resistance goes up, heat goes up, speed goes down, ventilation goes down and eventually the tool goes down... Especially when you have a heavy handed user who thinks their tool is faulty as it keeps cutting out but they need to get the job done! 

I just think they currently have a long way to go. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

The issues with the 500i are the issues I would be worried about with the electric saws. More torque, more speed, less structure, smaller bearings without a continuous feed of oil.... 

Well, angle grinders are a different tool, they have their own built in safety in the fact you would be doing well to stall a grinder during use. I have seen a lot of burnt out drills though and considering how often a chainsaw gets stalled in the cut and how hack handed some people are with chainsaws I don't think it will be long before there's a smell of magic smoke. Only way to combat it is to have a built in stall cut out based on amps but DeWalt have that already in their 10.8v drills and I've seen tonnes of them burnt up. 

As you know that's the issue with electrics, load goes up, amps go up, resistance goes up, heat goes up, speed goes down, ventilation goes down and eventually the tool goes down... Especially when you have a heavy handed user who thinks their tool is faulty as it keeps cutting out but they need to get the job done! 

I just think they currently have a long way to go. 

Yes, users have a lot to do with it, I never burned out a power tool,

yet every shead I was in as I welded to the country was full of burned out

grinders, drills and welders, some people are tough on tools.

We will get there though, am looking forward to what the future holds for the

chainsaw, and indeed the whole forest industry, climate, foreign insects

and God only knows how many other influences will all play a part in how

we go forward, am just enjoying what we have while we have it.

Edited by Echo

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

One thing that is missing out of this is the power generation. We don't have much green energy and you're just burning coal to fuel a saw with additional steps? ? 

Coal?

For generating electricity?

Wow, I can still remember back when we used to do that in the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCS6800i said:

Where does wood sit in that chart?

I say it should be a protected species, we cant grow it fast enough and

if we cut it all down what then, I understand the older trees need to be cut

before they rot and are useless.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCS6800i said:

Where does wood sit in that chart?

On the chart, wood is the dark green line just below the coal.  I think a lot of it is shipped 3/4 of the way around the globe in bulk transporters that run on crude oil.

Not really sure that wood holds the key to power generation quite yet!