Fly agaric in school..

benedmonds

Educate, educate, educate!

Highlight to the school and provide a basic info brief - a fantastic education opportunity. 

That would be in an ideal world at least. What will probably happen is there will be a hysterical (albeit futile) attempt to remove and eradicate the ‘offending’ article. 

Reminds me of the hysterics that followed when a child was ‘suspected’ to have eaten deadly nightshade. 

Tell & show children what is dangerous rather than constantly trying to remove the potential hazard. 

• Like 7

Fly agaric won’t kill you just make you very sick. If you prepare them correctly you can eat them just fine, raw chicken won’t kill you, just make you very sick. If you prepare it correctly..........
Seriously though, maybe a lesson on fungi for the kids would be a great idea, get them to draw pictures of the mushrooms and teach the kids a bit about mushroom id and tell them not to eat them.

• Like 4

Ha - was it part of the brief to identify potentially harmful fungi?  If you feel you have a duty of care and consider it a genuine hazard it needs addressing.  I don’t / wouldn’t. 
It is an educational opportunity - beneficial mycorrhizal fungi with Birch etc.  Needs to be processed through an animal to release hallucinogenic properties, reindeer / Laplanders etc. 
Very interesting. 

• Like 1

Sorry - I’ll answer the question instead of spouting off from the top of my head. 
A potential hazard has been identified.  The risk of harm needs to be assessed.  I’d consider the historic length of time fungus present, with the amount of potential contact between fungus and kids, and weigh that up against all recorder instances of harm to children from fungus at the school.  This will give you an idea of the actual risk. If risk deemed too high, put controls in place.  
still a bit spouty - but there you go.