can they stop me?

jose

I like reading everyone's opinions/ideas,, I have my own and see where it falls in the ideas.  
so some may think it’s wrong, but getting the council to do things is like having the neighbour from hell next door some times. I would just submit what needs to be done to the neglected tree  by the owners of the tree, and see if they are happy and if a middle ground could be compromised.  Take a good look and see if you can find any faults and highlight them. The rule of 25% has been forgotten for to long by them and is to late and to little now

but either way 

asking if you can, and telling them you would like to rectify neglected tree. Are two different things.

but really you shouldn’t have any probs getting access to do the job

i look forward to the outcome ??

edit, which way is north and south. So we can get an idea of the reduced light this property is suffering

Edited by Wonky

There is also the potential for a 'name & shame' approach.

The council, especially as a government / statutory body, ought to strive towards the gold standard in the duty to be a good neighbour.

It certainly looks like, either through omission, ignorance or neglect, that the council tree has the potential to be adversely impacting the neighbour.  First job - tell them!

Rather than offering (and then standing under the council's direction) to remedy the perceived imposition and incurring the financial penalty, first action could be to explain what the imposition is and suggest that the council might wish to address it.

If they were to decline, there is the parish & district councillor route + the local MP who could be brought to bear - they work for us after all.

Then there is social media and local media.

Create a shit-storm if necessary - it can have surprising effect.  

Best case scenario - problem resolved, no personal cost.  Winner, winner Waitrose organic chicken and pan roasted pine nut dinner.  

Worst case scenario - TPO.

Somewhere in the middle - council claim to be skint and won't do it, neighbour has to do it.

Personally, I'd still do the caravan and campfire approach.... 

• Like 3

I have a couple of days away from the pc and its kicked off!

Personally i love the idea of the caravan boys set up.  added to the mix he will get a new fence thrown in when the old one is smashed up!

Yes someone said put the onus back onto the council. It is their tree which tbh has been left, basically not pruned ever by the looks of things. Not sure about else where in the country but around these ways if nobody moans then nothing is done.

Customer was adamant for it to go, then once i told him that the council said no only to boundary then he was dead set on that. I cant see him wanting it tip reduced by 2-3m or what ever the council think is appropriate as it covers the whole garden and even 3m back will still be right over.

No idea when they moved into the property. They are in their 30's so id guess not that long.

Often people maintain the grounds around their property here as the council come by about once every 3month so if you want it short u do it yourself.

Also they have a side gate. weather or not this is legal access or not ive no idea. bet the owners dont either.

what i recieved from them:

The resident has every right to exercise Common Law but the effect on the tree will probably be dramatic & damaging.  Unless you can convince your client to moderate the pruning to a substantial crown-shaping the Council is unlikely to give you permission to enter Council land to carry-out pruning.

Which in fairness they are correct, which is why initially removal was the preferred option. 

A reduction with keeping the tree looking half decent simply wont achieve anything of and use.

As said its not my problem as i dont live there and i dont want to fall foul of the council. I work and live here and have worked hard to create a good reputation which im not going to risk for a 1 off job. 

• Like 2

Which in fairness they are correct, which is why initially removal was the preferred option. 
A reduction with keeping the tree looking half decent simply wont achieve anything of and use.

As said its not my problem as i dont live there and i dont want to fall foul of the council. I work and live here and have worked hard to create a good reputation which im not going to risk for a 1 off job. 

Can we get my mewp into the clients back garden and work from that
José?