can they stop me?

jose

2 minutes ago, scbk said:

The homeowner has some plants along the wall and fence, I wonder if that is their land or council land.

I wonder if you did the work and annoyed the wrong person at the council (or a neighbour), they might kick up a fuss about the unofficial gardening and/or cut it down since it's on 'their' land.

Was thinking just the same, and the grass looks mowed as well.

If you do access ground without permission the may ask about cross contamination to ground copied this from an email i got from council a coupe of years ago but as we know no one dose;

Cross-contamination

Where there is a risk of transferring pathogens to vegetation at other sites, felling and pruning equipment must be disinfected after use. Also consider brushing mud and debris from soles of boots, and spraying boots and vehicle tyres before leaving the site (possible disinfectants include Virkon, ethanol and industrial methylated spirits). All disinfectants should be used in accordance with the recommended safety precautions (refer to the material data safety sheet for each product).

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Its a quality tree next to a house, it supports a wide variety of insect life and mammals. Leave it alone. K

Balderdash, it's an oak of poor form that completely dominates a small garden which it overhangs and is considerably reducing the owner's enjoyment of his property.

• Like 8

That tree hasn’t grown there overnight/over the last 5 years etc. To cut everything back to boundary is ott in my opinion - is this a relatively new resident by any chance?

However, if you end up taking the job and the council stand by their (rightly justifiable imo) guns and won’t grant you access unless working to their spec then just take a caravan or two and chuck on some fake plates. The local authority will even lay on welfare facilities and clear up all your brash/shit/anything else you choose to tip on their land FOC (think of the profit!!!). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Maybe I am missing something, but surely you can legally cut anything to the boundary line? So get a mewp, cut it, and make sure you give them the cuttings back as legally they belong to the council.

Yes and no.
Turned down an overhanging tree of heaven job,
It half filled the neighbours garden.
Tpo’ed. Council said trim it to border, no problem.
Spoke with the owners who said it’s fine to trim it, but last time it was trimmed the roots receded and the sewer beneath collapsed.
If I’m prepared to pay for any sewer pipe damage it’s fine with them....
apologised to client, walked away.

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yes and no.
Turned down an overhanging tree of heaven job,
It half filled the neighbours garden.
Tpo’ed. Council said trim it to border, no problem.
Spoke with the owners who said it’s fine to trim it, but last time it was trimmed the roots receded and the sewer beneath collapsed.
apologised to client, walked away.

Good luck to them proving that in court.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

That's always a good scare tactic; I bought a thinning from the forestry commission on a farm they had retained their plantations on but had sold the farmhouse and some fields for the new owners horses. They replaced the unmade acess track over which the FC had retained rights with a new concrete road. When I came to extract timber they claimed if any cracks occurred I would be liable. Not my problem but I was surprised when the FC caved in and I was unable to harvest the wood.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, scbk said:

The homeowner has some plants along the wall and fence, I wonder if that is their land or council land.

I wonder if you did the work and annoyed the wrong person at the council (or a neighbour), they might kick up a fuss about the unofficial gardening and/or cut it down since it's on 'their' land.

Hmmm.

I was thinking the same thing. If the greenspace adjacent to the side of the property is owned by the local authority why is the client growing flowering plants and mowing the grass? What happens if the tree is cut back or even removed (because I bet that is what the customer would prefer or has asked for not just a major haircut to the fence line) does the householder then install a picket fence; garden shed; greenhouse and a fully fledged allotment?

I think the council may have changed their tune if they've visited the site, spotted the over zealous gardening of their land & seen the request to "cut back" or "remove" the offending stem as some kind of covert pretext to a land grab. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/10/2020 at 21:54, openspaceman said:

Balderdash, it's an oak of poor form that completely dominates a small garden which it overhangs and is considerably reducing the owner's enjoyment of his property.l

Actually rubbish. Has he my accumulated knowledge or yr wisdom? NO.... 

Just some annoyed geezer. K