Ground protection.

Benarb

3 hours ago, Clicky said:

Would you even need 9mm stokboard? I've heard its pretty tough was gunna try the 3mm for my 1.2tonne machine

It depends what you are running over it with that's why I went for 9mm as wanted to be able to run tractor and trailer on it needed and hire MEWP weighing in at 8T plus.

9mm is a bit of a pain to pick up as floppy so 3mm would be a nightmare, my plan is to drill a hole in ends a pull about with hooked pole.

Also trying to work out a rack so can stand them down side of trailer so machine is not loaded on top of them on trailer.  

3mm would be too light.

we used 6mm stokboard, fine for small skid steer or mini digger but not stiff enough for tractor or mewp.

also they tended to  move when steering and fly back with wheelspin.

i thought about upgrading to 9mm but decided to go for proper ground mats. They have been a very good investment.

The 9mm weren’t working out that much cheaper and having grips on both sides is a huge advantage.

a few  6mm sheets are very handy for near and under chipper and where you need to take tight turns with mini skidsteer 

Edited by s o c

6 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

How resilient and hard-wearing is it?

Since reading about it on here i'm thinking of using it to replace the worn out rotten phenolic ply on my trailer with 12mm Stokbord.

If your going down the phenolic ply route, don't piss about with the cheap stuff, buy from Ifor. I got 15 yrs from ifor stuff, the cheap copy 4mths before if started to break up. Ifor stuff was about double the price but still a no brainer.

15 minutes ago, htb said:

If your going down the phenolic ply route, don't piss about with the cheap stuff, buy from Ifor. I got 15 yrs from ifor stuff, the cheap copy 4mths before if started to break up. Ifor stuff was about double the price but still a no brainer.

I'm not sure if it's been replaced before, i think it's a 2005 trailer so if it's original it's done well as you did. But it has a couple holes, it bows depending on the weather, worn/broken around the fixing screws, etc.

Was thinking marine ply with chequerplate top, or Stokbord. (Possibly with chequerplate top too.)

It's 18' x 7'6" bed though, so needs a lot of material. Van bed needs replacing too, that's 14' x 7'. ☹

When i was thinking to do phenolic again i was looking at Wisa-Hexa. But really thinking to go with something rot-proof that won't get gouged by moving equipment and steel stock.

Edited by Moose McAlpine

4 minutes ago, s o c said:

I think it stokboard expands a fair bit with sun so maybe not ideal for trailer floor.

Definitely don’t use stokboard as a fixed trailer floor as it moves a hell of a lot with temperature changes. If the trailer has sides then consider  using a slightly undersized 3mm sheet as floor protection instead of ali though - it’s incredibly resilient stuff!