Head Torch Recommendations?

Spruce Pirate

I bought 2No.  £40.00 rechargable Petzyls for SM and myself, SM sits for at least 8 hrs doing needlepoint any day, and the battery lasted and lasted all day every day, recharged overnight. I only use mine rarely and picked it up yesterday after lying for months, and the battery still was good for quite a few hours. The daughter also borrowed Mums and commented on how good it was for walking on rough paths in darkness, and Lydia has had plenty of other headtorches. My only quibble is having to open the cover to plug in to recharge, but I suppose if you want water resistence this is the best option.

This is the headtorch I currently use, it's a rechargable coleman with "battery lock" which saves the battery from draining when not in use. I think I got it 4 years ago (as an xmas gift!) and it has had a hell of a lot of use since then.

Don't know if it's rated as waterproof - it has an open charging socket on the bottom, but has been used in horizontal rain plenty of times and lives to tell the tale.

It has a handsfree switch and light sensing function, but that only served to annoy me so I put a tiny piece of black tape over the sensor.

It must now have a bit of a dodgy connection on the battery lock, occasionally you will get a wee flicker.

There's small green/amber/red lights on the front to tell you battery status..

It's got various levels of brightness, using different LEDs on the front. One I use the most is a close area flood, which is ideal for working on things. And there's a long distance spot combined with flood, which is handy for when out on the bike in the woods at midnight!

DSCN2478.JPG

After 10 years of buying LED Lensers higher priced offerings and finding they’ve gone down hill - getting far too clever, too many settings, less robust, elastic not as good, on/off switch too sensitive so it turns itself on in the truck- I bought 2 petzal tikkas last weekend. £17 each, simple, nice tight elastic, 1 button,  just like the first led one I had 20 years ago, but a bit brighter???

You might want to be a bi more specific since we are all going to post what we own at the moment. What are you going to be doing with it? Do you have a budget? Do you need it to be rechargeable or so that you can change the batteries (handy if you are an hour from home and the batteries die), How bright exactly - when was the last time you bought one and how bright was that (the light intensity has increased, you might have been using 100 lumen torch, 150 lumens would be great, might be that you had 300 and 150 would be rubbish) and so on. Narrow it down a bit.

Me? I need one for running through woodland trails in the winter, so I got a bike light, think it is 450 lumens, cheaper than a dedicated head torch for the power but I had to make a head strap out of a go-pro head strap, it does me quite well for  running downhill cross country through the woods at that power. I would avoid fancy bits and pieces, had a couple and they never lived up to expectation.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Petzl Reactik+, mainly for dog walks, sometimes runs.

Just in now, bloody dark up the woods!

Ticks every box for me at 300 lumens, I don’t need more.

Handy for camp as well, with red light facility.

I’ve just ordered a Petzl Zipka for the truck as well, also 300 lumens and it’s tiny. Can’t find my original one, which I’ve had for years, think that was 200 lumens.

Really handy for unloading and tipping off at night, and sub-£25.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I got one of these from eBay many many years ago. It says it’s 12000lm, not sure if that’s correct or not. It’s very bright and considering it was only a tenner, I’d say it’s worth every penny. Battery life is amazing and I can leave it for months without it draining. IMG_1169.jpg

• Like 1