Head Torch Recommendations?

Spruce Pirate

I need to get a new head torch, don't know whether to spend a fiver and get a wee cheap job or spend a bit of cash and get something decent.  Would be nice to be able to see a long way if needed and be able to flood the area immediately in front of me if needed.  

Anyone got any recommendations? 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

LED type: CREE Q5 LED. The red indicator light on the battery holder plays a good warning role in night walking or cycling! 4-mode brightness: high, low, strobe and SOS. Zoom in/out to...

Bought 1 like this years ago without all the fancy sos and strobe beams out to about 100M also got a Petzl tikka bought it when on special price some were.

I bought a Cluson Super Spot on a punt as my old torch had packed up and this was the only one they had in the gun shop I happened to be in at the time.

https://clulite.cluson.co.uk/head-torches/686-hl13-super-spot-head-a-lite.html

It's actually turned out to be very good. The lamp is a bit of a monster but there's no weight to it. It has a very wide flood beam with an intense central spot that goes miles, so fits your brief. A charge lasts ages, there's no batteries to buy and it's all very well made. 

I use it for everything including shooting. For that job I like a red lamp. The Cluson has a low and high white setting (which aren't that much different) but doesn't have different colour modes. But they make coloured filters which work very well. The red one is perfect for shooting. Turns the intensity right down and is as good as any red LED. 

Very good general purpose torch for the money.

1 hour ago, Spruce Pirate said:

I need to get a new head torch, don't know whether to spend a fiver and get a wee cheap job or spend a bit of cash and get something decent.  Would be nice to be able to see a long way if needed and be able to flood the area immediately in front of me if needed.  

Anyone got any recommendations? 

I bought a few cheap head torches a few years ago.....what a waste of money.  I will make sure I spend £30 or more next time and get a good one - there is some rubbish out there.

• Like 1

Heard that

Alpkit

ALPKIT.COM

Qark is small, mighty, reliable rechargeable head torch. Packed with such clever features that make it ideal for...

or decathalon

WWW.DECATHLON.CO.UK

Rechargeable trekking head torch - TREK 900 USB - 400 lumens - Yellow Our team of trekking enthusiasts developed...

Are the   relatively budget ones that are decent & used by fell runners etc.

I bought a "Lighthouse" headlamp last winter in the hardware store for €30. Best money I ever spent. Still going strong, bought two more, can never have enough headlamps hanging around. It uses a rechargable and replaceable 16050 li-ion battery (about a fiver) and runs for hours. Very light on the forehead, water resistant, dropped many times, no problems. The beam is pure flood, which I know is not what you're looking for. It just diffuses out and fills a room with light, it's as if the light kind of works it's way into every nook and cranny. One feature that sometimes comes in handy is you can set it to motion sensor, and just wave your hand in front to switch it on or off, instead of pressing the button. This occasionally is useful, if your hands are really dirty/oily etc. Best work headlamp ever.

I like my Fenix HL23, simple one AA battery in a fairly robust aluminium housing. I break the plastic head torches too easily. The battery doesn't last ages but you can keep a few spare. The HM23 seems to be it's replacement.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop FENIX Not Age/Gender Specific Hm23 Headlamp, Black, 69.5 x 40 x 32 mm. Free delivery and returns on all eligible...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Olight are a good company with quality products but I cannot comment on the head torches but every thing else I have had is top drawer.

Yep I have been pleased with mine. It's an Olight wave H15. Not the most powerful but its lovely and light to wear and has a nice built in rechargeable battery. Perfect for walking or running but probably not the range the OP is after. I had one much like in the link below which was brilliant with good strong beam. Sadly it developed a fault after a year or two so bought a way more expensive Lenser 7.2 but it is not as bright or as comfortable and five times the price. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoom-Headlamp-350000LM-Rechargeable-T6-LED-Headlight-Flashlights-Head-Torch-Fish/402411689538?hash=item5db19b1642:g:2JIAAOSwx~dfSOki

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1