Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Big Beech

Elm saw logs

Recommended Posts

firstly, what is the going rate for Elm saw logs?

Secondly I may be travelling up to Leicestershire way in a couple of weeks time.

Does anybody have anything for sale at sensible prices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Big Beech said:

firstly, what is the going rate for Elm saw logs?

Secondly I may be travelling up to Leicestershire way in a couple of weeks time.

Does anybody have anything for sale at sensible prices?

I have not bought any for a while (due to lack of availability in my area) but Elm sawlogs should be worth around the same as Ash, or maybe a bit more.  So maybe from £70 per cubic metre up to around £120.  A lot depends on what they are like - if hedgerow or street trees (as many will be) then this will make them likely to contain nails and wire.  If with better provenance ie estate or forest grown then they are more desirable.  If you want Elm sawlogs you may have to get them from Scotland.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I just dont see any Elm at all but all the Scottish Elm I have seen is quite diffrent to English Elm  the Scottish is a lot redder in colour 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I have not bought any for a while (due to lack of availability in my area) but Elm sawlogs should be worth around the same as Ash, or maybe a bit more.  So maybe from £70 per cubic metre up to around £120.  A lot depends on what they are like - if hedgerow or street trees (as many will be) then this will make them likely to contain nails and wire.  If with better provenance ie estate or forest grown then they are more desirable.  If you want Elm sawlogs you may have to get them from Scotland.

Good elm is worth a lot more than that now. 

 

If you can find clean, shake free elm from live or recently dead trees, you'd be looking at upwards of £8/hoppus foot, which translates to £220/t roadside, or thereabouts. 

 

It's pretty similar to good quality in oak, in terms of pricing, but good burr/pip will make a lot more.

 

I know of one batch from near Inverness (2 or 3 loads I think) that went for £25/hf delivered to Helmdon in Northamptonshire. Straight, clean logs, averaging around 3ft in diameter. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be wanting more than £70 a tonne for Elm saw logs, thats less than softwood chip prices, J quoted £220 which is about where i would want to be or even a bit more, we cant compare Elm with Oak really as due to its scarceness now a days and yet if you mention it to any one who does a bit of milling they rip your arm of for it and good Elm saw logs are not easy to find,,, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been Milling some Scottish Elm for a customer. He’s just taken delivery of another 25t for me to work through when I’m home next.

I’ll maybe buy an Arctic Load myself. I can cherry pick the best of what’s there that week and it’s £2000 delivered 50 miles to me. Not saw logs as such, but too good for firewood.1d296517-1a6c-485e-954e-aac7e5d5b923.jpg771d31c8-14fb-4afd-b65d-4c5ec7b78e6e.jpg
IMG_9772.jpg
7d4c03a2-6fe5-43b6-a85a-269716b28c6f.jpg

This last pic is one I milled a good while ago.
IMG_9820.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I’ve been Milling some Scottish Elm for a customer. He’s just taken delivery of another 25t for me to work through when I’m home next.

I’ll maybe buy an Arctic Load myself. I can cherry pick the best of what’s there that week and it’s £2000 delivered 50 miles to me. Not saw logs as such, but too good for firewood.1d296517-1a6c-485e-954e-aac7e5d5b923.jpg771d31c8-14fb-4afd-b65d-4c5ec7b78e6e.jpg
IMG_9772.jpg
7d4c03a2-6fe5-43b6-a85a-269716b28c6f.jpg

This last pic is one I milled a good while ago.
IMG_9820.jpg

Very jealous Andy.  I know I can get it shipped down to me for about a grand extra, but my business is all about local and sustainable, so I don't tend to buy in from foreign lands like Scotland...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squaredy said:

Very jealous Andy.  I know I can get it shipped down to me for about a grand extra, but my business is all about local and sustainable, so I don't tend to buy in from foreign lands like Scotland...!

All the more for me then. :D 

 

With so little mature Elm left perhaps Elm from within the UK and not imported could be considered sustainable and 'local'?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.