Walnut

gobbypunk

Picked up a nice big butt of Walnut yesterday cost me £50 and £100 for the hi ab to come and move it ,now have a few nice lumps waiting for my new mill decided to install a curtain from an old curtian sider lorry on the front of my lean-to in order to keep the rain off my mill all these things delaying the build up of it though doing my head in but I will get there 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrblue5000 said:

How thick is the butt and how thick will the slabs be. Have to say as an owner of a few walnut trees I'm disappointed at how cheap you got it for? But I'm looking forward to the pics.

I dont think thats the norm. Spoke with a lad from Northen Scotland who is trying to Score a good diameter Walnut tree, including the branches and had his offer of £1700 knocked back. 

• Like 1

Hi its not the biggest about 12/14 ft long and 2ft diameter I think 2 and a quarter  inch slabs to finish at 2 inch but may do a 3 inch for table legs I will take some pics tomorrow ,so yeah sounds like I had a good deal ,and as for the matey in Scotland £1700 it would have to be gun stock quality unless its Very valuable american black walunt ha ha 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

,and as for the matey in Scotland £1700 it would have to be gun stock quality unless its Very valuable american black walunt ha ha 

It was someone looking for me to mill some other species he has kicking about. He certainly seemed to have his finger on the pulse regarding prices. And had quite a stock of his own slabs.  He was looking for prices for some of my Elm and Oak Slabs and never bought any as they where to expensive in his eyes. Which might have been the case as I was selling them at £8 a board foot. I was not particularly fussy about selling them but would do at that price. 

The Walnut was 1200mm at its widest, 800mm at its narrowest and the branches where around 500mm. 

He said it was very clean, who knows though? 

Edited by trigger_andy

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

It was someone looking for me to mill some other species he has kicking about. He certainly seemed to have his finger on the pulse regarding prices. And had quite a stock of his own slabs.  He was looking for prices for some of my Elm and Oak Slabs and never bought any as they where to expensive in his eyes. Which might have been the case as I was selling them at £8 a board foot. I was not particularly fussy about selling them but would do at that price. 

The Walnut was 1200mm at its widest, 800mm at its narrowest and the branches where around 500mm. 

He said it was very clean, who knows though? 

I'd love to sell Elm and Oak slabs at £96 per cubic ft too :)

There's been a surprising amount of big Walnuts hitting the floor this year and being milled. I've seen some stunning photos recently from Patrick Turk at Forest2Furniture and from Richie McBride at Holly Cottage Tree Services.

Just now, wills-mill said:

I'd love to sell Elm and Oak slabs at £96 per cubic ft too :)

There's been a surprising amount of big Walnuts hitting the floor this year and being milled. I've seen some stunning photos recently from Patrick Turk at Forest2Furniture and from Richie McBride at Holly Cottage Tree Services.

If they sold they sold, Im not in a rush and I'll use them one day. Selling plenty green oak at £4 a board foot, but nicely figured and dry Elm and Oak is double that for me. They sell too. Its not an income for me, its just a hobby for now. So I can afford to shrug my shoulders. 

Just spoke with the lad up North, he got the Walnut in the end, and also ended up getting another one that he just saved from getting completely cut up for firewood, like you say, seems like a lot down this year. I'll have to go and have a noisy and see whats out there. 

2 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi some photos of the walnut it is 10ft long DSC_0833.jpegDSC_0832.jpeg

Should be some nice slabs in there hopefully as long as it is not full of nails. 

I wish I could get hold of more walnut logs, but I am not willing to pay the sort of prices I would need to pay to get more.  Yes the timber sells well, but so does Oak, Ash and Sycamore, and these can be bought in by the lorry load, saving hours of faffing trying to arrange haulage and I know they are forest grown not full of wire, and it is still highly profitable.

Anyway, always interested to see it when it is milled....post some pics when you mill it....

• Like 2