Heavy Duty Log Lifting Tongs

Billhook

On 25/10/2020 at 07:45, Johnpl315 said:

Never used any but there are also these ones which look sturdy enough. 

WWW.CLARKFOREST.COM

Bahco 1434 Tractor Tongs for gripping up to 700mm diametre...

They look identical to the Stihl ones I lost, apart from the colour,  but since the ebay ones are twice as wide in jaw spacing,  I think that they may be better

Well they arrived today and I have to say I am very impressed.  There were two large lumps of Sycamore, the first was awkward having many cut off branches and the second was very heavy, making all of the red overload lights come on in the Teleporter which is rated at  2,7 tons with the boom in but the boom was about halfway out so it may well have been near the 1500kg capacity of the tongs.  It was about on the 1300mm limit of the jaws also

With the previous set of Stihl tongs I often had to go and hammer the spikes into the log but I could just drop these ones over and it gripped first time every time.  No trouble to knock off sideways either and an additional feature was the 360 degree swivel which makes manoeuvring the log easy when lowering to position it for the Lucas Mill.

It came to £128 plus VAT which was less than I thought and about the same price as the Stihl ones.

• Like 4

Just bought these scales.  Always wanted to know the weight of logs, one ton boxes full of different split wood varieties, and the weight of the same box full of branch loggings.  They can weigh things up to two tons and are accurate to one kg

i thought that we might have a lockdown competition to see if you can guess the weights of those logs above

The largest sycamore has been down for over a year

It is 32 inches at one end and 33 inches at the other and 147 inches long

The shorter one is 26 inches x 120 inches

The Ash log is 15 inches x 90 inches

Perhaps Steve can think of a prize for the winner

92340700-785A-4855-A920-E020BA748372.jpeg

54CA1152-A132-4B3A-9373-53015751B22F.jpeg