Heavy Duty Log Lifting Tongs

Billhook

Has anybody had any experience with these?

They look about the size and capacity that I am after to go beneath the teleporter    About 130 cm jaws and 1500kg lifting capacity

Perhaps you know of similar superior?   A lot depends on the steel quality

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Made of sturdy steel the log grapple is capable of securely lifting loads of up to 1500 kg. Lightning Turbo Parts Sirens &...

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

Has anybody had any experience with these?

They look about the size and capacity that I am after to go beneath the teleporter    About 130 cm jaws and 1500kg lifting capacity

Perhaps you know of similar superior?   A lot depends on the steel quality

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Made of sturdy steel the log grapple is capable of securely lifting loads of up to 1500 kg. Lightning Turbo Parts Sirens &...

They look overly complicated what does that design offer over the ones in this picture?

Log_tongs_2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Which is similar to the ones I had before getting a grapple loader in 1984. Mine were allegedly cut out of 1/2" armour plate and in some circumstances, where you cannot get at more than half of the log, bettered the grapple loader.

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

They look overly complicated what does that design offer over the ones in this picture?

Log_tongs_2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Which is similar to the ones I had before getting a grapple loader in 1984. Mine were allegedly cut out of 1/2" armour plate and in some circumstances, where you cannot get at more than half of the log, bettered the grapple loader.

I had a pair of Stihl ones very similar, but have mislaid them in my carelessness in the woods somewhere.  The ~Stihl ones looked never strong enough for the job but they were fantastic for occasional use and very high quality steel.

I can only see hand held Stihl ones on the web at the moment

The German ones in the picture look as though the log may be easier to pick up and keep horizontal.

I have a hydraulic grapple on a roof crane County but is too much faff to start and run for occasional jobs

1 hour ago, Johnpl315 said:

Never used any but there are also these ones which look sturdy enough. 

WWW.CLARKFOREST.COM

Bahco 1434 Tractor Tongs for gripping up to 700mm diametre...

The ebay ones open to 1.3m and the Clarke only 0.7 so I would go on the ebay ones even though I would have expected the simple ones to be cheaper.

14 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Depends who's looking over yr shoulder - but officially yes  ? K

Well to my mind they just need a CE and as long as the loader is down when the tongs are attached/detached  and anyone is outside the riskzone whilst a log is suspended...

In practice of course people will take the risk and generally these things grip far better than a grapple loader that has a log gripped in the tips of the jaws (a no no  for forest machine operations)