cheap 40-50cc saw

polish pete

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a general groundie, small felling saw that my subbies can use. I'm fed up with one of the guys coming with another ebay saw that takes him half an hour to start just to blow up after a couple of hours. Something hard to break and easy to fix. It would be nice if it was Stihl or Husky so I can maybe use bars, chains from my usual saws but I'm open to any suggestions- Echo, Makita. Something around 40,50cc good enough to fell 15" trees and cross cut.

cheers

Peter

U can get those wee stihls pretty cheap 170s or 180s, most of the local fencers round here abuse the hell out of them and they keep on going.

Be a bit small to run a 15" bar but runs 13 no probs, esp if just occasional use.

I have a wee ms230 and it's a great wee felling saw for steep bankings and smaller timber, a fill lasts for ages

I agree with Woodwizzard. The Makita/Dolmar saws are great. Mine came with an 18" bar as standard and also two Oregon Chains all for £250 delivered from Amazon.de Might be worth keeping an eye out for another deal from them? 

https://www.amazon.de/Makita-Benzin-Kettensäge-38-kW-EA4300F38C/dp/B009NZQTH6/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2E6F97ZC1MQ5H&dchild=1&keywords=makita+ea4300f38c&qid=1603554549&sprefix=makita+ea4300f%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-1

• Like 1

9 hours ago, polish pete said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a general groundie, small felling saw that my subbies can use. I'm fed up with one of the guys coming with another ebay saw that takes him half an hour to start just to blow up after a couple of hours. Something hard to break and easy to fix. It would be nice if it was Stihl or Husky so I can maybe use bars, chains from my usual saws but I'm open to any suggestions- Echo, Makita. Something around 40,50cc good enough to fell 15" trees and cross cut.

cheers

Peter

06A4FE90-D157-4EFF-BB7B-EA4D45D25840.thumb.jpeg.5646499a115dccb9b7d7a893c4627dac.jpegHad this off Andrew at AJS saws and axes,great little saw its an EA4300 and got loads of power for a little saw

• Like 1

16 hours ago, drinksloe said:

U can get those wee stihls pretty cheap 170s or 180s, most of the local fencers round here abuse the hell out of them and they keep on going.

Be a bit small to run a 15" bar but runs 13 no probs, esp if just occasional use.

I have a wee ms230 and it's a great wee felling saw for steep bankings and smaller timber, a fill lasts for ages

I have 170 for coppicing,  nice and light but not enough for felling small stuff. I'll look at 230!