The Tragedy of HS2

sime42

33 minutes ago, Stere said:

Boris's  bridge from scotland to northern ireland the next big project?

that will be a interesting build project as there is a fair depth of water between Scotland and Northern Ireland like 800ft in the bueforts dyke which was all so used as a amunition dumping ground at the end of WW2, this amunition will of been dragged about by trawlers over the years and disspearsed every where, so should make some interesting news bulletins that one,

• Like 2

I have often wondered if we need to have a total rethink on public transport.  Keep the rail network for heavy goods and rethink the transportation of humans, especially in respect of social distancing.

150 years ago my Gt Gt Grandfather could catch a train two miles from here, the main line from Grimsby to London, the fish train, and be there quicker than I can today. Main line long gone.

My option today is a ten mile journey by car ( bus is unthinkable) to Skeggy to catch a crappy little two carriage train to Grantham and carry my sometimes heavy luggage over a footbridge and hang around on the windy platform, usually in the rain, until the  crowded express arrives which I have to book.  Not surprising that I prefer breathing my own air and listening to my own music in a car in comfort.

Of course everyone else thinks the same hence the maximum speed of about 50 mph everywhere and yet we are still encouraged to buy cars that do well over 100 mph and many one and a half times that speed.

Nearly 2000 deaths, 25000 serious injuries and 150,000 injuries on uk roads each year.

I suggest making totally safe generic electric 4 seater plus luggage 30 mph max cars built for comfort and safety, all airbags no aerodynamics.  There would be a network of pylons supporting a lightweight linear electric system.  You would mostly live a short distance from a terminal, join the system a bit like a skilift bubble and punch in a postcode and be whisked along at 150 mph until you are released at your postcode terminal to finish your journey at 30mph.  Arriving refreshed never having had to carry your luggage after leaving your front door.

The pylons could use the current road network without causing too much environmental impact, keep travellers away from the effects of rain,, snow, leaves and ice whilst giving them a wonderful view of the landscape.

You need to sit back and have a dream every now and then...  Dream on Billhook, I hear you cry as you go to your 140 mph GTI, that has brakes, suspension and tyres better suited to a race track and sit behind a queue of 20 cars doing 42 mph.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

that will be a interesting build project as there is a fair depth of water between Scotland and Northern Ireland like 800ft in the bueforts dyke which was all so used as a amunition dumping ground at the end of WW2, this amunition will of been dragged about by trawlers over the years and disspearsed every where, so should make some interesting news bulletins that one,

Never mind that a lot of the munitions probably never made it the length of the Beufort Dyke, being dumped over the side early, so as to skeddaddle back to port for another high paying load!

• Like 2

I have often wondered if we need to have a total rethink on public transport.  Keep the rail network for heavy goods and rethink the transportation of humans, especially in respect of social distancing.
150 years ago my Gt Gt Grandfather could catch a train two miles from here, the main line from Grimsby to London, the fish train, and be there quicker than I can today. Main line long gone.
My option today is a ten mile journey by car ( bus is unthinkable) to Skeggy to catch a crappy little two carriage train to Grantham and carry my sometimes heavy luggage over a footbridge and hang around on the windy platform, usually in the rain, until the  crowded express arrives which I have to book.  Not surprising that I prefer breathing my own air and listening to my own music in a car in comfort.
Of course everyone else thinks the same hence the maximum speed of about 50 mph everywhere and yet we are still encouraged to buy cars that do well over 100 mph and many one and a half times that speed.
Nearly 2000 deaths, 25000 serious injuries and 150,000 injuries on uk roads each year.
I suggest making totally safe generic electric 4 seater plus luggage 30 mph max cars built for comfort and safety, all airbags no aerodynamics.  There would be a network of pylons supporting a lightweight linear electric system.  You would mostly live a short distance from a terminal, join the system a bit like a skilift bubble and punch in a postcode and be whisked along at 150 mph until you are released at your postcode terminal to finish your journey at 30mph.  Arriving refreshed never having had to carry your luggage after leaving your front door.
The pylons could use the current road network without causing too much environmental impact, keep travellers away from the effects of rain,, snow, leaves and ice whilst giving them a wonderful view of the landscape.
You need to sit back and have a dream every now and then...  Dream on Billhook, I hear you cry as you go to your 140 mph GTI, that has brakes, suspension and tyres better suited to a race track and sit behind a queue of 20 cars doing 42 mph.
What a great idea. Sort of a combination of private and public transport. Sadly though I can't see the gas guzzlers going for it. They would bleat on endlessly about losing their "freedom"; to sit in their little metal palaces pumping out pollution, going nowhere in a traffic jam!