PPE ratings a Question

Robbie260

The ‘downside’ to PPE is that it emboldens the incompetent and affords protection to the careless thus prolonging their presence in the workplace / world.  

What is truly staggering is where blind adherence to‘procedure’ and ‘PPE’ actually make things MORE difficult and potentially dangerous that assessing them OUT of the equation. 

Agree with you there Kevin, I find I’m much mor careful when I’m sawing in jeans and trainers!

18 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The ‘downside’ to PPE is that it emboldens the incompetent and affords protection to the careless thus prolonging their presence in the workplace / world.  

What is truly staggering is where blind adherence to‘procedure’ and ‘PPE’ actually make things MORE difficult and potentially dangerous that assessing them OUT of the equation. 

Have to admit in the day job im very ppe adverse apart form eye and foot and hearing protection, I find people have turned health and safety in to a box check exercise which means if the checklists done they are safe which they aren't so I avoid risk assessments where possible as I find it keeps me and everyone else more awake and on their toes. 

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Oh this ,  and some ?

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any clear guidance on the choice of chainsaw boot cut class on the HSE website. All cuts I've seen to chainsaw boots over many years has been in the toe area, which is protected by steel, although I'm sure other areas get cut from time to time. The probability of cutting a boot at max speed I would think is low, but the relationship between the cutting speed and protection class nevertheless needs to be considered. However in doing so, should we not be considering the average cutting speed (max less 20%) rather than the maximum. If a lot of walking is expected and also if wanting to keep feet as cool as possible a low cut class might be a better option, particularly for those more experienced chainsaw operators, but a higher cut class for those with not much experience. We've come a long way with PPE in the industry from wearing boots with only a steel toe cap, denim jeans, no helmet just ear muffs (some not even that) and also saws without a hand guard never mind a chain break, but I am not convinced that more experienced operators need to go to cut class 3 or even 2 chainsaw boots.

There doesn't seem to be any clear guidance on the choice of chainsaw boot cut class on the HSE website. All cuts I've seen to chainsaw boots over many years has been in the toe area, which is protected by steel, although I'm sure other areas get cut from time to time. The probability of cutting a boot at max speed I would think is low, but the relationship between the cutting speed and protection class nevertheless needs to be considered. However in doing so, should we not be considering the average cutting speed (max less 20%) rather than the maximum. If a lot of walking is expected and also if wanting to keep feet as cool as possible a low cut class might be a better option, particularly for those more experienced chainsaw operators, but a higher cut class for those with not much experience. We've come a long way with PPE in the industry from wearing boots with only a steel toe cap, denim jeans, no helmet just ear muffs (some not even that) and also saws without a hand guard never mind a chain break, but I am not convinced that more experienced operators need to go to cut class 3 or even 2 chainsaw boots.

Chain speed is determined by rpm and how many pins your sprocket has.
Class in PPE is only about chain speed.
Not torque.
another bucket of worms.
  • Like 1