looking to get into forestry work

ARB-MAN

Hi all, happy new year!!

I'm new to this forum so hope i'm in the right place. Just looking for some help about getting into forestry work.

I've just left the forces and have loans etc to pay so can't afford to go to college. Should i contact a local forestry contractor or is there no point beacause i havent got any chainsaw certs etc.?

Cheers

Not excluding all tree work, id like to be using a saw but wouldn't mind getting my harvester and forwarder operator certificates. Cant afford to do any courses until i've found some work though.

join the Forestry Contractors Association, they have a list of soft harvesting contractors throughtout the UK, or maybe someone on here has a list

join the Forestry Contractors Association, they have a list of soft harvesting contractors throughtout the UK, or maybe someone on here has a list

Cheers for the quick replies, yes ill join the FCA and see what i can find. Just looking for any tree work really - forestry/tree surgery. Just need to find some money some where to get the basic tickets. Does anyone know if you can get funding at all?

Cheers for the quick replies, yes ill join the FCA and see what i can find. Just looking for any tree work really - forestry/tree surgery. Just need to find some money some where to get the basic tickets. Does anyone know if you can get funding at all?

How "ex-forces" are you? and how long did you do?, if you qualified for enhanced learning credits you could possibly pull in 2k and go to kingswood training who do the basic tickets and a level3 business module that is what qualifies for the ELC, Kingswood do alot of resettlement courses. Some of the service charities help with business/training advice and may put you onto more funding.

How "ex-forces" are you? and how long did you do?, if you qualified for enhanced learning credits you could possibly pull in 2k and go to kingswood training who do the basic tickets and a level3 business module that is what qualifies for the ELC, Kingswood do alot of resettlement courses. Some of the service charities help with business/training advice and may put you onto more funding.

I've been out nearly 3months and did 3 years. I wasn't entitled to ELC for various reasons so i'm just trying to find either a company that will take me on, or if there are any ways of getting funding for courses.

Are you under 25? If you are go to the prince's trust. They can only give the maximum of £500, but i also went through Different training courses with my jobcentre. It takes a while, but now i've got my Lantra basic chainsaw maintenence and crosscutting and have my NPTC 30,31,38 and 39 booked and paid for! Although i have paid for some of it.

get a job with the forestry commision...they will put you through training but i know they prefere a bit of experience in basic forestry before they put you through every nptc unit or forwarder and harvester training! its not well paid but after you have done a few years and get up to speed you can get a job with a contractor making better money..personaly i would get bored out of my mind driving a harvester or forwarder for the rest of my working life!

Find a local contractor explain your situation... i was chatting to a guy who mainly does forestry on sat and he is convinced it will make a big come back soon due to many factors....most of the people i know who do this sort of work would be willing to show you the ropes so you know what your getting your self in to!