PTI

danthemanwhocan

Just looking into doing a PTI course again. Every training provider for years says something along the lines of this .- ‘’You will also need to be thoroughly experienced in carrying out tree inspections and surveys’’

Surely the whole point of doing training courses such as this is to get a job so one can start doing such a thing the course teaches. So don’t understand the exclusiveness and backwardness of such prerequisites.

Do people agree and does anyone care to elaborate?

For the record I have over 6 years practical experience climbing and Level 4 and some surveying experience so not quite what the course asks for maybe.

Hi, did the pti with similar experience, and passed it. I had the basic tree inspection course too and had done surveys and inspections a bit.

As a climber you are doing inspections on every tree you climb, ie is it safe to climb or to rig off.

Hope that helps.

Jan.

51 minutes ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Just looking into doing a PTI course again. Every training provider for years says something along the lines of this .- ‘’You will also need to be thoroughly experienced in carrying out tree inspections and surveys’’

Surely the whole point of doing training courses such as this is to get a job so one can start doing such a thing the course teaches. So don’t understand the exclusiveness and backwardness of such prerequisites.

For the record I have over 6 years practical experience climbing and Level 4 and some surveying experience so not quite what the course asks for maybe.

With your experience and knowledge level I think you would be fine...just make sure you do some revision before on decay fungi/rot types, body language of trees and different decay equipment......theres a bit on law but that's easy enough to learn on the course. You can always do the intermediate tree inspection course to get you ready also, but you should be fine

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Equally sure you'll be fine with practical experience AND level 4 qual.

The PTI is somewhat unorthodox as a training course in that it includes 'some' learning opportunity but us essentially a revision / recap course + assessment, i.e. an opportunity to demonstrate competence in deatiled tree inspections.

As others have said there are other courses which are 'training' focused which will help.

Ge up on your fungi, referencing the AA guide if poss (as that was the focus for the original questions)...and of course the 'course' is Lantra accredited (not AA.)

Cheers, n "good luck"

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys and hello Pat! Pat I may do that. I'll try and find mine first but that may be useful thanks.

It's good to hear those positive comments and may book soon. If so will put another post out in fact looking for a nearer venue. Living in north Wales.

Another possibility is doing some utility qualifications but need to do some research. 

I have some temp work now but thinking ahead and also covering my arse a bit.

22 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Over thinking it mate. A good instructor will soon set you right.  Some of the exams are open book anyway.  Bet yr more than able. K

Edited by Khriss
( iif you were ' thoroughly experienced' you wouldnt be doing the bloody course !!!)
  • Thanks 1