Carving bar or not? And what chainsaw?

ChainsawAl

Hi there 

Just started getting into chainsaw carving. At the moment I have a cheap Titan 16" bar with 3/4 chain, and an oleo Mac 956 on a 20 inch bar with 3/4 chain. 

I am also trying to fix up a oleo Mac 946, and I'm considering putting a carving dime bar with 1/4 pitch chain on it. 

I'm wondering as the 946 is a 46cc is that to large for a carving bar? And should I just stick to a normal bar or even try a quarter bar? 

Also would it be better for me to put a dime tip bar on the Titan?

Is it also worth me getting a bigger chainsaw for blocking or is the 956 big enough?

Sorry for so many questions..but I'd try and fit them all in as I remember.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi Al,
Do you mean 3/8 chain? Do you know if that's standard or lopro?
In regards to fitting a carving bar, 35cc saw is best for a dime tip bar. You would need to change clutch sprocket to 1/4
Not sure if there's a 1/4 sprocket option for titan, you may have to make one.

Sorry yeah 3/8 I meant. Had a bit of a brain fart there. ? It's the standard set up.

Is anything over 35cc to powerful for a dime tip then? 

What would be the best set up for the 46cc chainsaw? Just a normal bar?

Also would having a rim socket be better than a spur sprocket when using a 1/4 pitch?

Cheers mate

Sorry yeah 3/8 I meant. Had a bit of a brain fart there. ? It's the standard set up.

Is anything over 35cc to powerful for a dime tip then? 
What would be the best set up for the 46cc chainsaw? Just a normal bar?

Also would having a rim socket be better than a spur sprocket when using a 1/4 pitch?

Cheers mate
I think for the time being a standard set up on the 46cc would be fine. You could probably switch down to 3/8 lo pro as long as you can get a bar with the correct bar mount configuration for the saw.
I'm fairly sure most 1/4 sprockets on 35cc and under are spurs.

I would personally just stick to the .325 it comes with, I don't see a huge advantage to 3/8 lopro and it will be harder to find bars and chains.

Looks like the saws are K095 mount from Oregon which is small husky, so the other possible option is narrow gauge 0.325. Do you need narrow cuts though? All the narrow chain will do is cut slightly faster, your carvings will look the same.