Looking for a new vehicle!

chris hough 1991

Hilux extra cab. bomb proof up to mk6 then fancy emissions stuff gets added.
Extra cab gives you more payload than a single or double cab in weight, bigger bed than dbl too (mines just under 6ft internal and over 5ft width) debating tipper or just a drop side conversion next. Even with greedy boards and jumping all over it to pack it in it’s less than 10 mins solo to empty so full dropside gives me more weight capacity and a bigger space to drag chip off from.

• Like 1

I went through this a few years ago. Started out with a pickup, but couldn’t get enough stuff in the back so I bought a tipping trailer with caged sides. Could carry loads but couldn’t always get it down narrow drives and made the pickup/trailer combo very long so also couldn’t park in some drivesEnded up selling both and buying a mk6 transit tipper with a chip box on the back. A little wider than the pickup and can’t go off road but for 95% of my work that’s fine. Have had it 5 years now and wouldn’t be without it. You’ll never have the one perfect vehicle for everything, just need to work out what work your doing and get the one that works the best for that. 

• Like 3

I went through this a few years ago. Started out with a pickup, but couldn’t get enough stuff in the back so I bought a tipping trailer with caged sides. Could carry loads but couldn’t always get it down narrow drives and made the pickup/trailer combo very long so also couldn’t park in some drivesEnded up selling both and buying a mk6 transit tipper with a chip box on the back. A little wider than the pickup and can’t go off road but for 95% of my work that’s fine. Have had it 5 years now and wouldn’t be without it. You’ll never have the one perfect vehicle for everything, just need to work out what work your doing and get the one that works the best for that. 
Cheers tim, yeah thats what i am thinking , if i was to get a pick up id be getting a tipper trailor for it but they can be awkward , i dont know if my boss can get me somthing cheap through work like a high milage new shape ranger double cab i might try that first and just see how i get on and if i find its not suitable i will try somthing bigger/diffrent. Thanks guys [emoji16]

8 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I’ve bought both now,
Got a cheap 4x4 for off road and towing plant trailer,
Still mainly in the transit though.
It would help if my guys would drive...??‍♂️?emoji106.png

yep i went the same route after running a 4x4 with high sides whilst towing a high sided Ifor trailer, i eventually bought a cheap MK6 Transit crewcab tipper and sold the Ifor.  I still have a 4x4 pickup though so i have the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

Hilux extra cab. bomb proof up to mk6 then fancy emissions stuff gets added.
Extra cab gives you more payload than a single or double cab in weight, bigger bed than dbl too (mines just under 6ft internal and over 5ft width) debating tipper or just a drop side conversion next. Even with greedy boards and jumping all over it to pack it in it’s less than 10 mins solo to empty so full dropside gives me more weight capacity and a bigger space to drag chip off from.
We have an ex farm one being traded in at work soon, i feel its a single cab but ill see what its like when it arrives, i have worked on a few and they seem alright tbf just see how batterd it is lol, yeah dpfs and all that addblue bollocks is causing allot of issues