Climbing kit bags-what do people rate?

Treetom15

You almost sound professional Joe...  apart from referring to yourself as a Subby Climber.

I do wish people would stop using that term...  causes no end of problems when the excrement gets sucked into the AC.

I have the Courant bag as well and it is pretty good.  I also have a DMM Porter which is a bit old now.  As for ropes, I have a rope bag for each one.  I just grab whatever I need from the master-bag AKA Hilux and I am good to go.

The Courant bags are very good.

I was envious when Rich got his, instant accessibility and visibility for all your gear, including lid.

I’ll get one when my black ex-army deployment bag (about £25) wears out, which will probably be never.

In this, I have mountains of barely used shite, as well as my ‘grab bag’ of basic climbing kit, which is a cheapo DMM rucksack that Skyland sell.

All the usual bar spikes in there.

My ropes are always in separate rope bags.

So many good reasons for that, if you don’t know them I can’t be bothered to explain.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

You almost sound professional Joe...  apart from referring to yourself as a Subby Climber.

I do wish people would stop using that term...  causes no end of problems when the excrement gets sucked into the AC.

I know it gets your knickers in a twist when people use that term. It's semantics though. In not grandiose enough to refer to myself as a freelancer

18 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

My ropes are always in separate rope bags.

So many good reasons for that, if you don’t know them I can’t be bothered to explain.

As a self employed Climber working for various different companies in a labour only basis (cool Rich?) I want everything in one bag in case I have to go onwards in their vehicle's. I already have to much kit without rope bags!

Let's hear all your advantages then!

• Haha 1

Joe, the term Subby climber (to me) is something a 22 year old with 2 years climbing experience calls themselves.

They do it because they have the perceived notion it makes them look ‘grown up’ :)

Contract climber makes you sound at least 30...  surely that is reason enough to use the term?

37 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

I know it gets your knickers in a twist when people use that term. It's semantics though. In not grandiose enough to refer to myself as a freelancer. 

As a self employed Climber working for various different companies in a labour only basis (cool Rich?) I want everything in one bag in case I have to go onwards in their vehicle's. I already have to much kit without rope bags!

Let's hear all your advantages then!

The first one is dumping 50m of rope at the base of a 15’ tree makes you look like a 17 year old.

I suppose an advantage of this would be you could spend an extra 5 minutes at the end of a climb telling your groundies how great you are while coiling your rope back up alpine stylee.

• Like 1