Broken

bigtreedon

23 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

Get a skidsteer loler tested? I can imagine there is a very slim margin of tree surgeons who would do that. I have some experience of ag welding, and given the right size bushing being readily available, could cut that off and stitch a replacement on in a bloody sight less than half an hour. You obviously have never been in a plant hire workshop for any amount of time.

Well the statement about not being in a workshop is a bold one to make, as is the comment ref LOLER compliance within the Arb industry. I’m more than happy to post images of the fab work ive undertaken, none of which has ever failed its MPI/Eddy current test either pre or post SWL testing. Anyway I’m not gonna get into a cock fight over welding prowess, although I would recommend cast steel being heated and allowed to cool in a controlled manner for best least brittle end result. As I said it was what I thought a point worth thinking of if you have employees using bits of kit etc etc not a ffs nuts reply moment. 

Edited by Johnsond

9 minutes ago, dumper said:

To be insured I have to get both my skidsteer and avant lolered every year

i reckon that headstock will be north of a grand to buy, weld it decent ag work shop or mobile plant fitter would do it in there sleep then get a test £100 job done

Probs a reasonable way to look at it. As I said in first reply 

I’d get the part priced and also get a good welding outfit to price it and take it from there. LOLER compliance and inspection of a defect, repair or modification etc is the way it is nowadays and unavoidable or so I thought. 

Edited by Johnsond

Plant gets repaired daily all over the country. It was made originally which means you can quote easily replace said part correctly with the right skills and experience. A decent welder (coded if you are worried about traceability) correct grade of steel and heck i’d reinforce it further to avoid it happening again

4 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

Plant gets repaired daily all over the country. It was made originally which means you can quote easily replace said part correctly with the right skills and experience. A decent welder (coded if you are worried about traceability) correct grade of steel and heck i’d reinforce it further to avoid it happening again

Yeah that part is easy replaceable. Yes plant is repaired all over the country every day. Codes are good to have but not essential  it’s the test methodology after the weld is completed that will count and the subsequent cert to say it’s fine these are the min that will maintain LOLER compliance. End of the day it was a suggestion at the end of the post about something worth bearing in mind.  As a few have said sure it could be stuck together no probs by joe average stick guru on site, (I’ve done plenty of get me home repairs myself) But as an employer that will not pass muster in the admittedly unlikely event anything ever goes wrong. 

Yeah that part is easy replaceable. Yes plant is repaired all over the country every day. Codes are good to have but not essential  it’s the test methodology after the weld is completed that will count and the subsequent cert to say it’s fine these are the min that will maintain LOLER compliance. End of the day it was a suggestion at the end of the post about something worth bearing in mind.  As a few have said sure it could be stuck together no probs by joe average stick guru on site, (I’ve done plenty of get me home repairs myself) But as an employer that will not pass muster in the admittedly unlikely event anything ever goes wrong. 

A coded welder/fabricator will be able to repair that to a certifiable and inspect able standard.
Sure you could x ray test the weld but i have not heard of it being requested before. I worked as a fab/welder building canal boats and worked for a well ticketed and experienced boss, we did plenty of repairs on telehandlers, skid steers even a couple of cranes etc for a couple of local plant firms. Never had a inspection request to test the weld and we used the crane firm to move the boats onto artics. We had all the loler paperwork as part of the lifting plans etc.
I doubt once painted many if any loler inspectors would even realise it had been repaired.

In a perfect world that part would be replaced but we don’t live in a perfect world. Someone with the correct knowledge of metallurgy and welding can sort that to a safe and inspectable level easily and at little to no risk of future failure. They will also be insured to protect themselves. Bob from down the pub won’t have these skills

1 hour ago, Dbikeguy said:

A coded welder/fabricator will be able to repair that to a certifiable and inspect able standard.
Sure you could x ray test the weld but i have not heard of it being requested before. I worked as a fab/welder building canal boats and worked for a well ticketed and experienced boss, we did plenty of repairs on telehandlers, skid steers even a couple of cranes etc for a couple of local plant firms. Never had a inspection request to test the weld and we used the crane firm to move the boats onto artics. We had all the loler paperwork as part of the lifting plans etc.
I doubt once painted many if any loler inspectors would even realise it had been repaired.

In a perfect world that part would be replaced but we don’t live in a perfect world. Someone with the correct knowledge of metallurgy and welding can sort that to a safe and inspectable level easily and at little to no risk of future failure. They will also be insured to protect themselves. Bob from down the pub won’t have these skills 

Well it’s BT Dons bit of kit so it’s his call at the end of the day. 

13 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

I was meaning once he'd started. Of course having seen it he will wander off to sit on his phone in the bog for an hour and a half, have a dump the size of a small country.

Have you got his phone number ? K