Broken

bigtreedon

9 hours ago, bigtreedon said:

Any advice on how/if this can be mended its cast unfortunately much appreciated broke while not concentrating yesterday IMG-20201018-WA0000.jpegIMG-20201018-WA0007.jpegIMG-20201018-WA0001.jpeg

Cast steel can be welded but will probs need heat and controlled cooling so part will need to come off to do it right. More than likely if it’s gonna fail again it will be at point of repair. 
Id be looking at replacement part cost as first option and getting a quote from a really switched on fabrication/welding outfit as second . If they reckon it can be done in ten mins etc etc walk away. One thing worth thinking of is seeing as you’d in effect be modifying a lifting appliance  is what would be the worst case scenario if it failed again whilst in use ??. 

3 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Cast steel can be welded but will probs need heat and controlled cooling so part will need to come off to do it right. More than likely if it’s gonna fail again it will be at point of repair. 
Id be looking at replacement part cost as first option and getting a quote from a really switched on fabrication/welding outfit as second . If they reckon it can be done in ten mins etc etc walk away. One thing worth thinking of is seeing as you’d in effect be modifying a lifting appliance  is what would be the worst case scenario if it failed again whilst in use ??. 

Ffs. Its a skidsteer grab, not an offshore oil rig derrick. Any decent ag mechanic will cut that off and weld a replacement on inside of half an hour. Sometimes replies on here are nuts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

Ffs. Its a skidsteer grab, not an offshore oil rig derrick. Any decent ag mechanic will cut that off and weld a replacement on inside of half an hour. Sometimes replies on here are nuts.

Never, he will stand looking at it drinking a cup of tea for the first half an hour.:laugh1:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

OK no probs for starters it’s a lifting appliance. Be it a skid steer loader or a 1000t crane. There is no way that can be properly welded in half an hour by a decent ag mechanic that I can assure you. 
How was the reply nuts may I ask ??  It was tagged on at the end of the post as a point worth thinking of not an outright instruction of what to do or not. Rightly or wrongly even for Arb work this is the world we live in you do RAMS you get kit tested including I’m sure the loader in question etc etc this all seems like a pain in the arse until something happens. 

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

OK no probs for starters it’s a lifting appliance. Be it a skid steer loader or a 1000t crane. There is no way that can be properly welded in half an hour by a decent ag mechanic that I can assure you. 
How was the reply nuts may I ask ??  It was tagged on at the end of the post as a point worth thinking of not an outright instruction of what to do or not. Rightly or wrongly even for Arb work this is the world we live in you do RAMS you get kit tested including I’m sure the loader in question etc etc this all seems like a pain in the arse until something happens. 

Get a skidsteer loler tested? I can imagine there is a very slim margin of tree surgeons who would do that. I have some experience of ag welding, and given the right size bushing being readily available, could cut that off and stitch a replacement on in a bloody sight less than half an hour. You obviously have never been in a plant hire workshop for any amount of time.

6 minutes ago, HuntingHicap said:

Get a skidsteer loler tested? I can imagine there is a very slim margin of tree surgeons who would do that. I have some experience of ag welding, and given the right size bushing being readily available, could cut that off and stitch a replacement on in a bloody sight less than half an hour. You obviously have never been in a plant hire workshop for any amount 

To be insured I have to get both my skidsteer and avant lolered every year

i reckon that headstock will be north of a grand to buy, weld it decent ag work shop or mobile plant fitter would do it in there sleep then get a test £100 job done