A beautiful little film.

se7enthdevil

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

Was the coal gas, for heating - vile stuff. Most smog came from that.  K

Bull.

The town gas works were mostly contaminated by the tars and phenolic compounds that dropped out of the retorts, the coke initially went off for industrial use and the CO, H2 and small amount of nitrogen was piped out and burned cleanly. Later the coke was reacted to CO and H2 in a swing process using superheated steam.

Smog was a combination of products of incomplete combustion of coal in open fires and sulphur burned to sulphates which reacted with NOx. It looked greeny and had a definite tang to it as it hung over the bomb sites in London

• Like 3

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Bull.

The town gas works were mostly contaminated by the tars and phenolic compounds that dropped out of the retorts, the coke initially went off for industrial use and the CO, H2 and small amount of nitrogen was piped out and burned cleanly. Later the coke was reacted to CO and H2 in a swing process using superheated steam.

Smog was a combination of products of incomplete combustion of coal in open fires and sulphur burned to sulphates which reacted with NOx. It looked greeny and had a definite tang to it as it hung over the bomb sites in London

So you are older than you look then..... ?  K

22 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

What horse farts???
That was the main transport then.
?emoji106.png

Civil engineers will tell you that if you dig up an old London street you can still smell horse piss. Gallons of it leeched into the cobbles every day for centuries. And imagine all the shit on a wet day.. 

It's true it doesn't damage your lungs but every age came with its own problems.

11 hours ago, Khriss said:

If yr nearly hundred years old.... I would watch yr knees  ? K

13 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Do you know where the phrase " go and stick your head in the oven" derives from ?

Who died and made you Silvia Plath!  ? K

8 hours ago, Khriss said:

Who died and made you Silvia Plath!  ? K

You googled that, poor girl, so did I. I'm glad that can't still happen as I have a depressive granddaughter.

Anyway I  have spent a few months thinking I was coming up to my three score and ten  but just realised I am the same age as @Stubby for a little while as we were born in different years.

Thinking back I don't recall any houses being heated by town gas, it was only used for cooking, and actually lighting in one farmhouse, in homes I visited.

My father would not countenance town gas in the house as one of his relatives had died of CO poisoning when rats gnawed through a lead gas pipe. He relented and changed to gas central heating soon after natural gas became available.

• Like 1