The line between giving and advice and educating..

Rob D

On 17/10/2020 at 11:45, Steve Bullman said:

In your case Rob, you've put such a massive amount of effort into posting content here over the years, as well as your own blog, would surely make sense just to point them to one or the other.

Yep thanks Steve - the hard thing is getting people to go through it all - they wanna get to work! And in my 30s I was the same - always looking for short cuts so I don't blame people...

On 17/10/2020 at 19:00, Mick Dempsey said:

Your sharpening vid is the best I’ve seen, clear explanation and execution.

Cheers Mick and it does help getting comments like this! Trouble is I only hear from all the folk who don't watch the vids/read the info - all the people that do make the effort are the ones who inform themselves and then can make their orders accordingly..

19 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Yep it's a good point - and sadly health and safety blocks this - ie. to get it set up with all the red tape sorted, insurances etc is a hard one to do. I went into details with my insurance [NFU] and basically it's a whole other level getting insurance if you are being paid to hand over knowledge.

So to do this properly and legit it's too big a project.. yes it's possible but you would only be doing that ie. there would be no time left for doing all the other stuff that needs doing.

Could you do this in conjunction with an existing training provider to use their insurance etc?

4 minutes ago, Toad said:

Could you do this in conjunction with an existing training provider to use their insurance etc?

Yes it's sort of possible - but I think I'd be defeated on trying to do the timings and getting a timetable set up. Prob would have to work with NPTC trainers and someone there who is a) into chainsaw milling b) keen to help write a course on it.

Basically chainsawbars website has become something of a monster - and there seems no time to do anything like this. And from experience you can only rely on yourself to push a project like this through.

I just not got the energy or time at the moment!

But in the future it may be something I could look at

• Like 1

Basically, the Internet has given many the idea that things are fun and instantaneous ( or very near) such that felling a tree or milling is a straightforward, risk free venture. The  craft and back ground knowledge is often huge and not intuitive, with far too many variables possible. K

• Like 1

press 1 for spare parts,  you 

press 2 for sales, salesman.

press 3 for after sales 

if you were a bigger company you would have a salesman, salesman don't have your moral code, they would sell the punter the most profitable kit for your business and their percentage.?

3 is the person you employ who is a complete bullshitter and will just blah their way out of a refund and then back to number 2 for sales.?

This is business, you like to help, either charge for your time helping, advising or keep doing what you are doing or chunk up and chase the £'s.?

• Like 2

I spent many an hour watching all your tutorials when I first started Alaskan Milling, Rob. Everything from Alaskan Milling, the Grandberg Sharpener and the First Cut systems and everything in between. Thats going above and beyond in my opinion. It really gave me a solid foundation to put what I learned from your video's into practice. 

It seems like some people want everything handed to them on a plate and maybe these folks will not be the best customers anyway? 

Also, to have the ability to contact you via whatsapp etc is amazing, not that Ive done so in a long time but you really cant fault the level of service you offer. I dont have Alaskan Milling equipment these days as I'm using my Bandsaw now, but I still get my regular chains from yourself. 

I think you just have to suck it up personally.

I have gone to plenty of quotes where the client just wanted confirmation that they were onto the right idea on how to do the job themselves.

One cheeky bugger wanted to hire the gear from me so he could do the climbing.

• Haha 1