Jump to content
Not_an_arb

Can anybody help

Recommended Posts

Not that it’ll help in the slightest, but I’ve just had a bombshell which has seriously knocked my confidence in human intelligence. 
 

@maybelateron will know what I’m talking about since he very kindly went and had at look at it for me  (it’s been a while but you may remember) 
 

Ive been meaning to do some tree work at in-laws but time rolls on (several years) and I haven’t been up there.  Maybelateron, had a look, gave ‘em a quote and I was happy they’d have a pro job. 
 

Time rolled on again and I’ve just heard, everyone (including the wife who will feel my wrath later) have kept me in the dark about the work scheduled for next weekend. 
 

Father in law has found a ‘good lad up the road who’s got a mate that’ll  climb the trees because the “good lad” (a ground worker - I mean digs holes on building sites not Arb groundwork) doesn’t like heights.’

 

They plan to pay cash and have the work done at the weekend. 
 

For the love of God, if even I can’t inform and influence my own (well, hers) family, what hope is there for Mrs Miggins. 
 

I can’t begin to describe how angry / frustrated / pi55ed off I am with them right now. 

 

PS 

 

whilst I doubt the ‘main man’ will be a subscriber here maybe the ‘climber mate’ might be - know this!

 

If this goes ahead (despite my best efforts) I will be there at some point and if you’ve bulloxed it up I WILL find you and I WILL extract at least 2x the cash value gained in pain! (Watch ‘Taken’)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the trouble with this industry at the moment. Too many people who have a piece of rope and a rock climbing harness and are somehow then a "tree surgeon". Having watched a "tree surgeon" pull up, pull out his b&q chainsaw and pop on a £5 visor then fell a tree by making a cut right at the bottom of the V at the base so it split in half and fell straight across some 11kv power lines and rip a transformer off a pole leaving a farmer with a ~£200,000 bill for damage and environmental fees I feel I know it too well. 

 

People just don't seem to understand the training/skill/certification/insurance required to do it and seem to think that anyone with a chainsaw and a harness can do the job and most other tree surgeons are part of some racket where they all charge mega bucks. 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Having watched a "tree surgeon" pull up, pull out his b&q chainsaw and pop on a £5 visor then fell a tree by making a cut right at the bottom of the V at the base so it split in half and fell straight across some 11kv power lines and rip a transformer off a pole leaving a farmer with a ~£200,000 bill for damage and environmental fees I feel I know it too well. 

 

Hooooooly shit. 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

 

Hooooooly shit. 😮

It was a big bang, a big flash and the oil from the transformer went into the stream and polluted the main rivers hence the cost! The price of cheap labour. I was across the road trimming my hedge when it happened 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It was a big bang, a big flash and the oil from the transformer went into the stream and polluted the main rivers hence the cost! The price of cheap labour. I was across the road trimming my hedge when it happened 😂

If you think professional tree work is expensive wait til you see the cost of an amateur!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I'm a little confused. Are they operating in Devon or are they operating somewhere else?

That’s a very good question. One I do not have an answer for. All I know with 100% certainty is that they’ve done a couple of jobs here in Chepstow. The location I have for Taunton may well be a smoke screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Not_an_arb said:

That’s a very good question. One I do not have an answer for. All I know with 100% certainty is that they’ve done a couple of jobs here in Chepstow. The location I have for Taunton may well be a smoke screen.

That's a shame. They would be a 30 mins drive from me. Could have set up a sting op. Get them to go to a random address for a quote, snap some pics and get as much info as I could and then see if they're the ones who did your neighbor over! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

That's a shame. They would be a 30 mins drive from me. Could have set up a sting op. Get them to go to a random address for a quote, snap some pics and get as much info as I could and then see if they're the ones who did your neighbor over! 

Just one more thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.