Can anybody help

Not_an_arb

Not that it’ll help in the slightest, but I’ve just had a bombshell which has seriously knocked my confidence in human intelligence. 

@maybelateron will know what I’m talking about since he very kindly went and had at look at it for me  (it’s been a while but you may remember) 

Ive been meaning to do some tree work at in-laws but time rolls on (several years) and I haven’t been up there.  Maybelateron, had a look, gave ‘em a quote and I was happy they’d have a pro job. 

Time rolled on again and I’ve just heard, everyone (including the wife who will feel my wrath later) have kept me in the dark about the work scheduled for next weekend. 

Father in law has found a ‘good lad up the road who’s got a mate that’ll  climb the trees because the “good lad” (a ground worker - I mean digs holes on building sites not Arb groundwork) doesn’t like heights.’

They plan to pay cash and have the work done at the weekend. 

For the love of God, if even I can’t inform and influence my own (well, hers) family, what hope is there for Mrs Miggins. 

I can’t begin to describe how angry / frustrated / pi55ed off I am with them right now. 

PS 

whilst I doubt the ‘main man’ will be a subscriber here maybe the ‘climber mate’ might be - know this!

If this goes ahead (despite my best efforts) I will be there at some point and if you’ve bulloxed it up I WILL find you and I WILL extract at least 2x the cash value gained in pain! (Watch ‘Taken’)

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

That's the trouble with this industry at the moment. Too many people who have a piece of rope and a rock climbing harness and are somehow then a "tree surgeon". Having watched a "tree surgeon" pull up, pull out his b&q chainsaw and pop on a £5 visor then fell a tree by making a cut right at the bottom of the V at the base so it split in half and fell straight across some 11kv power lines and rip a transformer off a pole leaving a farmer with a ~£200,000 bill for damage and environmental fees I feel I know it too well. 

People just don't seem to understand the training/skill/certification/insurance required to do it and seem to think that anyone with a chainsaw and a harness can do the job and most other tree surgeons are part of some racket where they all charge mega bucks. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Having watched a "tree surgeon" pull up, pull out his b&q chainsaw and pop on a £5 visor then fell a tree by making a cut right at the bottom of the V at the base so it split in half and fell straight across some 11kv power lines and rip a transformer off a pole leaving a farmer with a ~£200,000 bill for damage and environmental fees I feel I know it too well. 

Hooooooly shit. ?

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It was a big bang, a big flash and the oil from the transformer went into the stream and polluted the main rivers hence the cost! The price of cheap labour. I was across the road trimming my hedge when it happened ?

If you think professional tree work is expensive wait til you see the cost of an amateur!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I'm a little confused. Are they operating in Devon or are they operating somewhere else?

That’s a very good question. One I do not have an answer for. All I know with 100% certainty is that they’ve done a couple of jobs here in Chepstow. The location I have for Taunton may well be a smoke screen.

24 minutes ago, Not_an_arb said:

That’s a very good question. One I do not have an answer for. All I know with 100% certainty is that they’ve done a couple of jobs here in Chepstow. The location I have for Taunton may well be a smoke screen.

That's a shame. They would be a 30 mins drive from me. Could have set up a sting op. Get them to go to a random address for a quote, snap some pics and get as much info as I could and then see if they're the ones who did your neighbor over! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

That's a shame. They would be a 30 mins drive from me. Could have set up a sting op. Get them to go to a random address for a quote, snap some pics and get as much info as I could and then see if they're the ones who did your neighbor over! 

Just one more thing...