DIY felling - Winch to pull over tree

Rosanbo

I'm not a professional 

I have a MS170 with a standard pico 3/8(?) chain and a 14" bar

This is a sycamore tree about 30 ft tall.  For convenience I think I will be cutting it about 4 feet above ground  It is 23 - 26 cm diameter.  

The trunk splits into 2 about 15 feet up.

I have a climbing rope 40m long / 132 ft measures about 13mm diameter.  I am not a climber so I don't know how strong this rope theoretically is.

I am going to tie the rope or a strap to the the tree trunk just below where the trunk splits. This will be about 10 ft higher than my cutting point.   Should I go higher, which would mean tying to one of the smaller trunks?  (I think I should tie to the main trunk).

Should I tie the rope around the tree trunk or should I use some sort of purpose made strap?  If a strap, can you link to one I should buy please?  And in either case any pictures of the tying method would be appreciated.

Should I use my climbing rope or should I buy a better rope or a strap 40 - 50 ft long?  If not my climbing rope, can you link to what you would recommend?   

I am going to use a winch to pull it tight then I am going to cut it down.  I have been watching a lot of "Bucking Billy Ray Smith" he is really good I hope you will agree.  

I'll buy some wedges just like Billy Ray uses.... ?

Have you got a winch you would recommend? because I am thinking of buying this one I can get it much cheaper than this price.

https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=360375

I don't think I will have any problems doing it just looking for some advice.

Edited by Rosanbo

7 minutes ago, Rosanbo said:

I'm not a professional 

This is a sycamore tree about 30 ft tall.  For convenience I think I will be cutting it about 4 feet above ground  It is 23 - 26 cm diameter.  

I have a climbing rope 40m long / 132 ft measures about 13mm diameter.  I am not a climber so I don't know how strong this rope theoretically is.

I am going to tie the rope or a strap to the the tree trunk just below where the trunk splits. This will be about 10 ft higher than my cutting point.   Should I go higher, which would mean tying to one of the smaller trunks? 

Should I tie the rope around the tree trunk or should I use some sort of purpose made strap?  If a strap, can you link to one I should buy please?  And in either case any pictures of the tying method would be appreciated.

Should I use my climbing rope or should I buy a better rope or a strap 40 - 50 ft long?  If not my climbing rope, can you link to what you would recommend?   

I am going to use a winch to pull it tight then I am going to cut it down.  I have been watching a lot of "Bucking Billy Ray Smith" he is really good I hope you will agree.  

I'll buy some wedges just like Billy Ray uses.... yes?

Have you got a winch you would recommend? because I am thinking of buying this one I can get it much cheaper than this price.

get someone in who knows what they  r doing my friend.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Rosanbo said:

I'm not a professional 

I am going to tie the rope or a strap to the the tree trunk just below where the trunk splits. This will be about 10 ft higher than my cutting point.   Should I go higher, which would mean tying to one of the smaller trunks? 

I'll buy some wedges just like Billy Ray uses.... yes?

Brave man .

• Like 3

I will try to film it.  I'm going to do it no matter what so any help on my questions would be in my best interests.  I know it's a small saw, but I'm sure it can do it.  I have cut a couple of  similar sized trees with it before. 

29 minutes ago, struie said:

get someone in who knows what they  r doing my friend.

Is that Buckin Billy pun ? Nice one if it is. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Rosanbo said:

I'm not a professional

Neither am I but I'm not sure I'd ask professionals to give me a free complete guide to felling a tree!

I am curious though, why do you need a winch? Is it likely to damage something if it falls the wrong way? Do you have a photo of the tree?

As someone who does like to do things themself, it does sound like a job you need to get someone in on.

• Like 2