Changing to a larger bar and chain

Al Slitter

1 hour ago, Al Slitter said:

First off I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond.

OK what you do not know and fail to understand is that I am retired and live in Thailand. Here the government has draconian laws about blade length and HP rating. The government will not allow any saw to be imported that has a bar length of more than 11.5" regarding the motor the HP output must be below .9 of a HP.

Well how dos this work? First off a chain saw of let us say 50cc's would normally come from outside the country and the manufacture or consolidator wouds swap out the 18" or 20" bar for a 11.5" to meet import requirements. The second is is the HP rating which has to be below .9 HP. This is done by the consolidator adding into the saw a re-stricter devise into the air flow thus lowering its performance to below the .9HP maximum rating. Once the model is approved and is imported many resellers her simple remove the re stricter and the HP then reaches the level it was intended to achieve. With the blade length All saw are sold with a blade length of 11.5" As an owner failure to operate or own a saw with a longer blade is punishable by a jail term. The police are not set up to check the HP rating so the risk comes with travelling with a saw with a bar of more that 11.5"

The irony here is that longer blades are readily available for purchase but the risk is on the owner not the store.

OK about my saw is is a 50cc saw, producing 2Kw of power which equates to 2.7HP, when I bought this sa the seller lied to me and stated that the saw produces 3.5HP. The model number of the saw is DD-5880 which leaves one with the impression that the saw is 58cc and at this mark would yield an out put of near 3.5HP. Getting back to my issue and my options as I have in my shop new 20" bar and 3- 20"0.325" Pitch 0.058" Gauge 76 DL (Peco Style or Low Profile).

The cheapest option is changing out the sprocket and once that works looking at an option to see if the existing 11.5 chain and bar can function with the larger sprocket. If not I will then have to acquire a new bar and chain.

One last point I will be doing an extensive muffler modification which should yield an approximate 25% increase in horse power. In addition I will then be looking at doing a conservative engine porting job which should add additional HP. If I had a choice I would simply purchase a new 70 to 80cc chain saw but due to government rules the saw would not be allowed into the country.  Sad Sad Sad!

I'd be inclined to look at a branded second hand saw that has parts readily available. You sound like you know what you're doing.

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

I'd be inclined to look at a branded second hand saw that has parts readily available. You sound like you know what you're doing.

Here in Thailand there is NO used chain saws available be they cheap Chinese versions or higher quality German, American etc.

It is important to remember that the Thai regulations basically kill quality higher performance Chain  saws period.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Slitter said:

Here in Thailand there is NO used chain saws available be they cheap Chinese versions or higher quality German, American etc.

It is important to remember that the Thai regulations basically kill quality higher performance Chain  saws period.

Do these laws apply to " profesionals " in Thailand ?  Anyway , back to your question . The pico bar will not work with the new .325 powerhead sprocket because the nose sprocket of the bar is a different pitch .

First off I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond.
OK what you do not know and fail to understand is that I am retired and live in Thailand. Here the government has draconian laws about blade length and HP rating. The government will not allow any saw to be imported that has a bar length of more than 11.5" regarding the motor the HP output must be below .9 of a HP.
Well how dos this work? First off a chain saw of let us say 50cc's would normally come from outside the country and the manufacture or consolidator wouds swap out the 18" or 20" bar for a 11.5" to meet import requirements. The second is is the HP rating which has to be below .9 HP. This is done by the consolidator adding into the saw a re-stricter devise into the air flow thus lowering its performance to below the .9HP maximum rating. Once the model is approved and is imported many resellers her simple remove the re stricter and the HP then reaches the level it was intended to achieve. With the blade length All saw are sold with a blade length of 11.5" As an owner failure to operate or own a saw with a longer blade is punishable by a jail term. The police are not set up to check the HP rating so the risk comes with travelling with a saw with a bar of more that 11.5"
The irony here is that longer blades are readily available for purchase but the risk is on the owner not the store.

OK about my saw is is a 50cc saw, producing 2Kw of power which equates to 2.7HP, when I bought this sa the seller lied to me and stated that the saw produces 3.5HP. The model number of the saw is DD-5880 which leaves one with the impression that the saw is 58cc and at this mark would yield an out put of near 3.5HP. Getting back to my issue and my options as I have in my shop new 20" bar and 3- 20"0.325" Pitch 0.058" Gauge 76 DL (Peco Style or Low Profile).
The cheapest option is changing out the sprocket and once that works looking at an option to see if the existing 11.5 chain and bar can function with the larger sprocket. If not I will then have to acquire a new bar and chain.
One last point I will be doing an extensive muffler modification which should yield an approximate 25% increase in horse power. In addition I will then be looking at doing a conservative engine porting job which should add additional HP. If I had a choice I would simply purchase a new 70 to 80cc chain saw but due to government rules the saw would not be allowed into the country.  Sad Sad Sad!

Are you nuts!!!!!
Have you seen a Thai prison???
Dude I really love milling and big saws.
But it’s legal here.
If you’re in the uk pop by Halifax, you can have a go on mine.
[emoji106]

Many people put on a longer bar and that is illegal and being imprisoned for some time is always a possibility so one has to be very careful of what you do or say! If you are a foreigner like me once released I would be deported. Removing the air constrictor is also a crime and the punishnt would be the same.

Big Brother is live and well here, it is now worse since the military took over the government. The generals look to the CPP as a model that would work well for them.

It is surprising that this is a shock to many as the Les Majesty laws here provide for 13 years in prison for any comment or action that might effect/attach the monarchy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Slitter said:

Many people put on a longer bar and that is illegal and being imprisoned for some time is always a possibility so one has to be very careful of what you do or say! If you are a foreigner like me once released I would be deported. Removing the air constrictor is also a crime and the punishnt would be the same.

Big Brother is live and well here, it is now worse since the military took over the government. The generals look to the CPP as a model that would work well for them.

It is surprising that this is a shock to many as the Les Majesty laws here provide for 13 years in prison for any comment or action that might effect/attach the monarchy.

But do these laws apply to the pro users ?

I had a quick Google and apparently you can have a bigger saw, but you need a permit from the forestry department. Seems that they need proof of address, copy of you ID, small fee, etc and two weeks later you get a permit. Saws you buy get registered to your permit by serial number. Also, the permit is for you, you cannot lend a saw out.

Husqvarna Thailand list a 395XP with 30" bar on their website, so big saws are readily available, you just need to get the permit prior to purchase.

• Thanks 1