Preferred forestry vehicle

Dave110

Had a discussion over out bait today, one of the lads is in need of a new work vehicle (freelance hand cutter/estate worker).

Whats the preferred forestry vehicle? 

We have a fair selection here at the moment; pick ups, a defender and a Clio (!). It's difficult to decide on an ideal vehicle - dont necessarily need large pickups if your just carting tools, saws and fuels around. Having said that its grand to keep a vehicle smelling fairly fresh and not have loads of stinking kit loose in the cab/car with you...

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Hilux 4x4 with sheep box over back end -more secure than soft cover. Front winch n ladder bars on top . K

Come on Khriss , don't piss about .....500HP  chipped Valtra ! Its the only way to travel ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Come on Khriss , don't piss about .....500HP  chipped Valtra ! Its the only way to travel ?

I warned you abt that cheap Tescoes sherry Mr Stubby  ? yr not even near the watershed  hour  ? K

Edited by Khriss
( dont think their budget stretching that far mate....)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar problem to this recently outfitting a vehicle for mobile mechanical engineering work and agri contracting, but needed to be suitable for use as a personal vehicle as well. Went with a double cab Isuzu dmax 2.5 pre face-lift and 1.9 engine, preferred them to the post face lift Toyota keeps nasty stuff out the cab load bed is secured with the factory offered arkolos canopy, good payload and towing capacity. 

I'm a diehard landy man normally but don't like overly complicated cars so anything disco 3 on is out for me and defenders are silly money these days for what your getting, generally abused with high miles and disco 2 don't keep your load separate and a lot of them are absolute rot boxes. Got a nice yokon d max with 44000 miles on the clock for 11600 before vat so it was pretty good value in my book. Mines the nice green colour too which they have discontinued unfortunately. 

My vote is pickup which one is personal preference. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 15:39, Dave110 said:

Had a discussion over out bait today, one of the lads is in need of a new work vehicle (freelance hand cutter/estate worker).

Whats the preferred forestry vehicle? 

We have a fair selection here at the moment; pick ups, a defender and a Clio (!). It's difficult to decide on an ideal vehicle - dont necessarily need large pickups if your just carting tools, saws and fuels around. Having said that its grand to keep a vehicle smelling fairly fresh and not have loads of stinking kit loose in the cab/car with you...

Thoughts?

No vehicle will smell fresh after a days forestry.

I actually prefer the smell of petrol to my own body.

I can’t fault the Isuzu Utah, it’s my main car and work horse.

Good fuel economy, heated leather seats and automatic and spend your money on a good back tool storage and canopy and you keep all the mess and smells in there. 
 I’m on forest tracks and always needing to drive on grassed area and get snow and ice 4 months of the year so need the 4x4, if you don’t then any car or wee van will do, just keep it clean and tidy.  Vans and cars are only stinking messes if you let it get that way.

Some big plastic boxes for your stuff in a boot keeps everything tidy and the back clean.

• Like 3