Stihl MS 261 vs Echo 501SX vs AN Other

coppicer

chaintooth.thumb.jpg.6241bf9c294b68a6672c650ef74a5dc5.jpg

33 minutes ago, doobin said:

There's your problem. Top plate is totallly blunt. You need to lift your file up a bit/do the eqivalent on your grinder.

The top plate angle is too obtuse but also the reflection at the corner plus the look of debris on the tooth suggests it is blunt. It may be from "rocking" the file.

Edited by openspaceman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, coppicer said:

Could you clarify what you mean by "obtuse" here? Does it mean "the cutting edge of the top plate is not angled sharply enough"?

yer,  either file too big fr the file holder or yr holding ( free hand ) it too high , plus bottom of chain straps looking  a bit hammered mate . Its a craft , chain sharpening , takes ages to get it spot on so take heart and practise , whilst looking at the tooth form on a new chain cutter link - when you get it spot on - you will know  ;) knife thru butter  ! K

• Like 1

My 2p worth ?

as I sort of said before look at your cutters and compare them.

i,m not sure if those cutter teef are sharpened from a file or a grinder. 
if the former, your file is not being held at the correct height to get the correct tooth angle. If it’s the latter, then the grinder is at the wrong angle.

the short answer is not enough hook on the tooth

and I,m guessing that’s a 3/8 lopro or picco. As your saw is a small saw.

Which you should be using  4mm file.

i will see if I can find a new chain and take a pic and a chain on a bar of mine and take a pic.

then compare them to yours

• Like 2

When you have determined what file you should be using  for your chain , the file should make contact with the cutter face with 1/5th of the file diameter ABOVE the top plate . Once you have corrected this you will need to take the gullets out a bit as they will then be wider than the top plate causing the sides to rub in the kirf .  In reality I think you need someone who knows how to sharpen to show you . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

So here’s a few pic's.  First few pics is new chain 3/8 lopro (not on a bar)

the next few pics are a slightly used chain (on a 12” bar) , I,m sure someone will comment good or bad, about my filing but as we’ve said before it does take time to be able to get good results, and then while on a job time is not plentiful to waste on filing a chain.

?

6DBB0684-E588-413F-AC0F-EE2FD3C881C1.jpeg

EE2551D8-F45A-4E27-9980-950D00F59B78.jpeg

FEA2E300-D380-4344-A22F-286E6207100F.jpeg

EB5D0F2D-1F99-4271-9AA0-DDAB156B60ED.jpeg

CC7F7813-AE46-4FA2-A2AD-BFCF8F59FD17.jpeg

7C934020-560A-4995-9935-D14FF24B2B19.jpeg

C6D21524-9958-473D-95FE-8BA3D349ED6D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Wonky said:

So here’s a few pic's.  First few pics is new chain 3/8 lopro (not on a bar)

the next few pics are a slightly used chain (on a 12” bar) , I,m sure someone will comment good or bad, about my filing but as we’ve said before it does take time to be able to get good results, and then while on a job time is not plentiful to waste on filing a chain.

?

Time spent sharpening any cutting tool is never wasted time. Never.  

• Like 1