Stihl MS 261 vs Echo 501SX vs AN Other

coppicer

Metabo for angle grinders. Best anti vibe in their class. 

The echo vibration is because it’s on rubber engine mounts rather than springs. That was the norm ten years ago but things have moved on. You might think it’s fine if it’s all you’re used to, but I think even the ms181 is springs. 

Edited by doobin

17 minutes ago, doobin said:

The echo vibration is because it’s on rubber engine mounts rather than springs. That was the norm ten years ago but things have moved on. You might think it’s fine if it’s all you’re used to, but I think even the ms181 is springs. 

Angle grinders ?  Do you mean stone cutters ?

22 hours ago, carlos said:

id go with a husky 550xp, feels nicer and less vibes than the echo 501 and a bit more poke too, the echos are good and reliable although the brake mechanisim seems a weak point on them.

we have ran the echos for a few years but now we always grab the new husky 550 1st.

we had a stihl 261 great, till the crank bearing went within a year, to costly to repair.

Glad to hear more good about the 550. Just bought a (used) 550 mk 2. Looking forward to using it as my 572 is currently my smallest back handle saw.

My mate has a 241 and i really like it, almost bought one myself. Surprised to hear about crank issues, his has been run hard and it's a great little saw.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, doobin said:

Well, that chassis was made almost 20 years ago by Shindaiwa and is basically inherited :). Since then from approx. 2007 all new Echoes are “springed” too. 171/181 wasnt yet around, 310 already was spring suspended.

As for Metabo - yes, the compensator is really nice. But if you work hard, fingers still start tingling way sooner than with a chainsaw.

Most of this comes down to personal preference really. They are all good saws to cut timber with. I’ve not noticed the vibration on the echo being any worse than other saws. I love my husky 562 but the av springs on that need changing fairly frequently otherwise you feel too much flex in the saw when buried the length of the bar. But again personal preferences maybe.
Stihl 241 I would avoid. Not that it’s a bad saw but feels gutless , again other people on here like them. You really need to try different brands these days to see what you like most and probably end up running a mixed fleet of saws, there isn’t one manufacturer making the best saw in every size category..

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Piston Skirt said:

Well, that chassis was made almost 20 years ago by Shindaiwa and is basically inherited :). Since then from approx. 2007 all new Echoes are “springed” too. 171/181 wasnt yet around, 310 already was spring suspended.

As for Metabo - yes, the compensator is really nice. But if you work hard, fingers still start tingling way sooner than with a chainsaw.

Which grinders would you recommend? I’ve not found anything better than metabo for  anti vibe, but they are pricey. 

36 minutes ago, lux said:

Most of this comes down to personal preference really. 

Stihl 241 I would avoid. Not that it’s a bad saw but feels gutless , again other people on here like them. You really need to try different brands these days to see what you like most and probably end up running a mixed fleet of saws, there isn’t one manufacturer making the best saw in every size category..

Personal preference is definitely the biggest factor in it, and in most purchases from chainsaws to other tools or cars.

When i bought my first saw (572) i bought it on the basis that i liked the look of it more than a 462 or 500i. Had never even used a chainsaw before. Not a decision i regret, i did the same when i bought my car; liked the look of it and bought it over the phone without having even driven one.

What would you buy over a 241 in the 40cc category? I see that Stihl class it as a professional forestry saw, yet Husqvarna's "equivalent" in the 435 and 440 are maybe not classed the same?

6 minutes ago, doobin said:

Which grinders would you recommend? I’ve not found anything better than metabo for  anti vibe, but they are pricey. 

I have about a dozen Grinders, most are Bosch. All grinders give hideous vibration and that's more down to the disc than the grinder, even with the best anti-vibe. I have a back handle 5" Makita, fiercly powerful, very comforable and very smooth. Much nicer than the usual top-grip 5" ones.

As i said about the disc, a twisted wire wheel will vibrate like hell on anything. I have a 6" twisted wire cup, put it on a 9" grinder and you have to hold on for dear life while it shakes your hands to bits.

• Like 1

I have about a dozen Grinders, most are Bosch. All grinders give hideous vibration and that's more down to the disc than the grinder, even with the best anti-vibe. I have a back handle 5" Makita, fiercly powerful, very comforable and very smooth. Much nicer than the usual top-grip 5" ones.

As i said about the disc, a twisted wire wheel will vibrate like hell on anything. I have a 6" twisted wire cup, put it on a 9" grinder and you have to hold on for dear life while it shakes your hands to bits.

I wouldn’t buy a 40cc ground saw. They all feel lacking in power. Most will be put on a bar about 16”
When you think that most full size top handles are nearly 40cc and most of them are run on a 12” bar you can see why 241 feels sluggish.
They are also barely lighter or smaller than a 50cc saw so you might as well have the more powerful 50cc.
But again it’s down to personal choice.
Sadly I think the build quality of newer stihl saws is going down hill. Husky still feel solid and better put together. Never had an issue with build quality on my echo kit either.

31 minutes ago, lux said:

I wouldn’t buy a 40cc ground saw. They all feel lacking in power. Most will be put on a bar about 16”
When you think that most full size top handles are nearly 40cc and most of them are run on a 12” bar you can see why 241 feels sluggish.
They are also barely lighter or smaller than a 50cc saw so you might as well have the more powerful 50cc.
But again it’s down to personal choice.
Sadly I think the build quality of newer stihl saws is going down hill. Husky still feel solid and better put together. Never had an issue with build quality on my echo kit either.

Thank you, lux.

In that case i won't worry about another ground saw as i just bought a used 550 mk2. My mate's 241 has a nice weight and feel but i think it runs only a 14" bar, which would explain why it feels fine to me in terms of power. It's also a significant step down in size and weight from the 572, but probably not much from the 550. As you said most top handles are near on 40cc anyway so it may be a redundant size for a ground saw.

I agree with you on build quality, the firm i do work for runs only Stihls. Really find the Stihls' quality underwhelming. Never been a fan of their designs anyway and the build of the 572 blows the Stihls i've seen out the water. Even my 395s which are a purely functional design have a better quality and finish. The Husqvarnas just feel more solid and robust, probably why they're consistently slightly heavier.